M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
What's your biggest screw-Up? Not someone else's you have seen but yours.

Here mine. (So far)
Saturday in the sitting rapid fire my first string was 96 2x. I'm feeling pretty good and ready for the second string. Load my 2 round mag, pull the bolt back aim and SNAP. Pull the bolt back again and SNAP. My first thought was I had loaded an empty mag. Dropped it and loaded one of my 8 rounder shot 2 rounds ,dropped the mag cleared the chamber, loaded my second 8 rounder pull the bolt back, fired and SNAP. Pulled the bolt back again, fired and SNAP. Pull the bolt again and got off 2 more rounds. I could not believe what I had just done. I did not pull the bolt back far enough to load the first round not one but 4 times in 1 string. But with all the haste I did get 31 points with those 4 very rapid shots I did fire.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I had a cracked bolt stop on my #1 rifle during off hand causing issues with the bolt staying back after each shot. Eventually I had enough of that. I switched out to my #2 rifle for RF prone... It's nice to have the option to go to a 2nd rifle, only one problem. My #1 rifle has 1/2 moa elevation clicks the #2 has 1 moa clicks. In the rush to get back from the rifle swap I managed to put my 1/2 moa click count on my 1 moa rifle. Of course this was during an EIC match, so no sighters, and no calling them back.

If I listed all my faux pas here, I'm embarrassed to say, this thread might run longer than the Hamonje vs SEI one. GI6

·
Registered
851 Posts
My first ever full course match i didnt know that the 20 rounds sitting rapid was 2 strings of ten. I was a very fast shooter back then and shot my first 2 and 8 round mag noticed everyone else still shooting so loaded and fired my second 2 an 8 and got a grand total of 0 points for the string

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Dropping the bolt on an ECI during rapid prone. Did it with an AR and had to drop the mag and completely get out of position to remedy the situation. Of course by the time I got this fixed, I only had time to fire 1 shot out of ten. It was in the X-ring.

Reactions: Jlynn

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My first ever full course match i didnt know that the 20 rounds sitting rapid was 2 strings of ten. I was a very fast shooter back then and shot my first 2 and 8 round mag noticed everyone else still shooting so loaded and fired my second 2 an 8 and got a grand total of 0 points for the string
been there done that... got the 0 on the score card to prove it.

only done it once , never done it again.... but have launched 12 rounds down range for a 0 more than once.

Reactions: Jlynn and TRW1964

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
First shot of my first XTC match down at Ft. Benning. A beautiful 10-ring offhand shot. Problem was that it was on the wrong target. Great way to start a match. I was a bit nervous I guess shooting against folks from the US Army Marksmanship Unit.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
What's your biggest F-Up? Not someone else's you have seen but yours.

Here mine. (So far)
Saturday in the sitting rapid fire my first string was 96 2x. I'm feeling pretty good and ready for the second string. Load my 2 round mag, pull the bolt back aim and SNAP. Pull the bolt back again and SNAP. My first thought was I had loaded an empty mag. Dropped it and loaded one of my 8 rounder shot 2 rounds ,dropped the mag cleared the chamber, loaded my second 8 rounder pull the bolt back, fired and SNAP. Pulled the bolt back again, fired and SNAP. Pull the bolt again and got off 2 more rounds. I could not believe what I had just done. I did not pull the bolt back far enough to load the first round not one but 4 times in 1 string. But with all the haste I did get 31 points with those 4 very rapid shots I did fire.
Was it a CMP match where you start the rapid from standing position with magasine in and empty chamber?

NRA since you stay in position the bolt can be locked back, insert magasine when targets come up, then trip the bolt stop or rack the bolt back to release it from the stop.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
2012 was a good year for me using the 14, won a LEG match, took 2nd in another LEG match, took high senior in the M1A match, won a state championship and would won another.... except I crossfired 2 Xs at 600, had I only crossfired 1, the guy who won and I would have been tied, but I had more Xs total. As it end up he beat me by 10 points against my 2 crossfired.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So many! Let's see: how about pulling on the op-rod, slightly moving it to the right...pop it out of its track. "Does anyone need more time?" I went through a spell where I did this several times...got the mind and hand back on the same page and the problem just went away.

Showing up at a match with no ammo...I know I packed everything and checked it several times! Once I remembered the scope, but not the stand. Or the time I didn't have my SLED for the M1 and tried to shoot slow prone left handed.

I was helping pull targets and stands after the match. The Son packed up all the gear for us. Got home short one rifle.

·
Registered
762 Posts
At the 2013 NTI leg at Perry.
I put my 300 dope on the M1A while it was turned backwards to me sitting in the cart.
Got to 300 and shot what felt like an incredible string.
Targets came halfway up and I could see the chalkboard down to the number 7.
Nothing was written anywhere. I thought to myself, crap I'll bet I....
Sure enough when the target came all the way up I had the prettiest little knot right below the 5 ring. One actually touched scoring ring so I got a big smoking 5 for the string.
Standing on the wrong side of the rifle I had turned the sights down instead of up.
Basically shot 300 yards with a 100 yard zero.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was it a CMP match where you start the rapid from standing position with magasine in and empty chamber?

NRA since you stay in position the bolt can be locked back, insert magasine when targets come up, then trip the bolt stop or rack the bolt back to release it from the stop.
It was NRA. I do intend to lock the bolt back from now on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was loading the truck with all the gear that I had laid out the night before and put the green box of ammo on the bumper where I would be able to see it. Drove off to the match with the ammo still sitting on the bumper. It dumped in less than 1/2 block and my dear wife came out in her robe and picked it all up. The range was only an hour away and I got to come home early and work in the yard that day.

It doesn't pay to be in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
HP match at Fort Gordon in the early 80s. Parked the car, opened the trunk, threw my jacket into the trunk and for some reason, closed the trunk. Car keys were in the jacket. It was a 78 Buick Regal...they didn't put remote openers on that car then. Had to pull the back seat, tear through the soundproofing and squeeze a hand through the cross members of the rear seat bracing to find my jacket, pull it out and unlock the trunk, run to the line and get set up for standing. Lost my concentration after 35 minutes of breaking into my trunk. It sure was a pretty range though, green grass and all.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I was a pit officer on Viale at Perry, and a young girl fired a 100-10. Her teammate on the next target pointed it out to me, so I told them to pull the target out of the frame, cut out the center, and we would all sign it. All went well until I discovered that we had no extra targets. God Bless Rick York, who pointed out to the (ruffles and flourishes) NRA that without extra targets it was bound to happen, and was not my fault.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.