M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from beautiful, warm (finally) Montana,

A question for the board, if I may. My rifle, new, had a headspace of 1.632". I loaded rounds with a cartridge headspace of 1.624".
Why should they show signs very much like peening on the shoulder and rims chewed up? The problem showed itself after firing. In trying to determine the cause I would load and extract without firing and the cartridges looked the same. I am in the middle of barrel break in, per M/Sgt Owens, and chamber was clean and dry. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

RAH

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
what type of rifle do you have. I have had that problem before with aftermarket springs on the ejector and extractor. I can't remember the brand name of them but they were hard on brass. The socalled improved aftermarket springs are much much stiffer than gi. Yes they extract and will eject 20 feet away in some guns I have seen, But I put more faith in the original designers of the m-14 than I do in all these aftermarket manufacturers. If your rifle is relativly new that is probably what the problem is. does that peening look like where the ejector plunger would push on it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts