M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing the barrel that is specially chambered for m118lr and was wondering what the big deal is....?

Is the chamber shorter?..... Meaning does the bullet actually closer to the rifle or maybe it's right on it.

175 SMK's in my barrel loaded to a coal of 2.800 have a 0.100 jump to hit the rifling.

I have and use a hornady OAL gauge.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
The throat is longer to accommodate the longer round. As you know M118LR is match ammo, I would imagine the headspace is set up tight as well. Do you know what the HS is? I have two reamers one is for M118 the other is for M118LR all I ever use is the 175 grain SMKS

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know what SAI says about my headspace but I got Hornady headspace gauges inbound and I will post what my findings are when they get here.

I was just trying to find a load using 175 SMK's and just for ****z & giggles I inserted the Cartridge OAL gauge to see if I could get a little bit more closer to the lands and found that if used a 175 and pushed it up using said OAL gauge the round would come up to be 2.913 to touch the rifling.

First off, anything loaded in the mag longer than 2.840, the round will not fit.

And another the bullet is barely held in place by the neck on that long OAL I found.

............ I was only doing it to see as I bought the OAL gauge for my bolt-guns and they have severly paid off by giving me very-very sub-moa accuracy...... Custom loading for my bolt-guns went from me about to toss them in a lake to now they are one-holers.

I was very surprised to see that there is THAT much jump in my M1A, which is a 18" Scout.

I'm loading and loading and cannot find a good load that gives me less than 3".

I'm going out again this Sunday with 14 different loads and extensively testing and going to find a load that gives me the best results..... If it gives me bad results then I'm going to resurface the muzzle and give it a 79 degree crown and see what that does....

..... If that doesn't help, then I'm buying another barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.