M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in getting an older colt 1911 gov model. I'm not looking for any specific rare collectable, just a nice shooter. What is a realistic price? Everything I see on gunbroker ranges from stuff that looks like hell for 1000+ to stuff that doesn't look spectacular being well over 2000 dollars.

Is that par for the course or what? Aren't there tons of these guns out there? why are they so expensive? does everyone just think they have a valuable collectable or is my hopes of finding a nice looking shooter for under 1000 dollars just never going to happen?

·
Registered
496 Posts
A Series 70 is the best 1911 for the least money (I do not care for the extra parts and mushy trigger of the Series 80, the Commercial models of the 40s-60s are the best but HIGH). That said they will run from $700-1000 easy.

Everyone "just wants a nice old Colt" and the people that have them don't turn loose often. So you will pay more, but on the flip side if you ever have to sell it the Colt 1911 holds its value (or appreciates) better then any other company (try selling a Kimber for what you paid for it).

Right now there is a nice looking 70 Series on GB that looks like a non original nickel finish with no reserve sitting at $450 which is a good price even with the non original finish.

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I've been watching these for the past while. Series 70 originals in good shape go for about 750 if you're lucky, to about 1K+ if you're not.

Series 70 reissues are pretty hot right now, and I haven't seen one for less than about 850.

Series 80s can be had for pretty good prices. 650-800ish in great condition from what I've seen.

Pre-series 70 commercial colts are the ones the purists want and the ones I've seen have been in so-so shape, and everyone wants $1300+ for them.

My personal MKIV series 80 stainless combat commander has a very nice trigger and the only reason I want a series 70 govt is to host my Colt Ace .22 conversion. I'd buy a series 80 govt no problem. Great pistols IMO.

YMMV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.