M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding my M1A a diet of Prvi 145g & 168g and have been noticing a distinct ammonia odor in the exhaust gas. Can't say I've noticed it in any other ammo regardless of caliber. Anybody else notice this? Is it peculiar to the powder Prvi uses?

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
I've been feeding my M1A a diet of Prvi 145g & 168g and have been noticing a distinct ammonia odor in the exhaust gas. Can't say I've noticed it in any other ammo regardless of caliber. Anybody else notice this? Is it peculiar to the powder Prvi uses?
Cat Pee........

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I was shooting in a damp and foggy day... I noticed a lot of funny smells. I think the smoke was reacting to the moisture in the air.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I had ONE round of Magtech smell like this about 6 years ago. I was firing a new M1A at the time. Very strong and very distinct smell. Never before or since.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hmm, I've never noticed an ammonia smell from either of the Privi before.

Although during the process of going through different flavors of ammo I came across some that smelled of maple syrup. At first I thought it was just me until the guy in the next lane also noticed it. Then he got pissed at me because all of a sudden he got a craving for pancakes(okay, I did to). I apologized to him and told him it was indeed my fault and being new to this I was instructed from the guys at the LGS to pour maple syrup down the barrel because it would act as a lubricant and get me a 10% boost in FPS thereby increasing accuracy. A few of the other guys heard me explaining it to him and started laughing. What made it even better was the RO overheard it to and, being a larger individual, started belly laughing which made those laughing already laugh harder. All I got from the guy was a squinty faced pissed off look, go figure.

And yes, being the fat b*stard that I am I made pancakes when I got home(and by made pancakes I mean I threw those frozen pre-made ones in the microwave).

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
You can Google the subject of 'ammo smells like cat pee' and find literally thousands of posts...
I have never seen a very scientific explanation, but it's clear that certain brands like Wolf and Tula and Aguila are most often mentioned...
I personally smell it like Ammonia or Urea but apparently different people smell it differently and some folks don't seem to smell it at all.
I think it's from the specific Powder formulations.
Some suggest it's the 'lacquer' on some Russkie Ammo, but that can't account for the others...
Some think it's from the Brass...I think it's more likely that the brass reacts to the fired powder and then 'carries' that smell.
The ammo doesn't smell bad or different before firing, just after firing.
While maybe some guys here haven't experienced this, I have, and my hands do in fact smell like cat pee afterwards!
GI3
No jokes at my expense please! GI2 But I think we all know what cat pee smells like!
If anybody here can find objective info as to exactly what is the 'scientific' basis for that smell....I know I would like to hear it!

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: TheDudeAbides1970

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Gunpowder... ammonia nitrate is a main ingredient last I knew... therefore a smell of ammonia is not too surprising, surely. I'm more struggling through a few bricks of W brand .22 ammo where each shot gives off a puff of smoke just like black powder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have experienced that smell and as mentioned, it is usually with some form of Comm Bloc ammo. I get to where I do not trust ANY Comm Bloc to be non-corrosive, even if the box says it is.

It may just be that their gunpowder formulas are of an older school and not up to US standards. But it may not be that at all. I often wonder if they are still using corrosive primers?

I had some 5.45 that was labeled non-corrosive right on the package, so went to the range and shot a few hundred rounds. Brought the gun home and left it for a few days before I got the time to clean it. BIG MISTAKE!

That barrel was fuzzy orange inside. So sent the whole thing off and had it re-barreled. Lesson Learned. I MIGHT do this with American made ammo, but never with anything from an Eastern European or Comm Bloc country.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
You can Google the subject of 'ammo smells like cat pee' and find literally thousands of posts...
I have never seen a very scientific explanation, but it's clear that certain brands like Wolf and Tula and Aguila are most often mentioned...
I personally smell it like Ammonia or Urea but apparently different people smell it differently and some folks don't seem to smell it at all.
I think it's from the specific Powder formulations.
Some suggest it's the 'lacquer' on some Russkie Ammo, but that can't account for the others...
Some think it's from the Brass...I think it's more likely that the brass reacts to the fired powder and then 'carries' that smell.
The ammo doesn't smell bad or different before firing, just after firing.
While maybe some guys here haven't experienced this, I have, and my hands do in fact smell like cat pee afterwards!
GI3
No jokes at my expense please! GI2 But I think we all know what cat pee smells like!
If anybody here can find objective info as to exactly what is the 'scientific' basis for that smell....I know I would like to hear it!

CAVman in WYoming
I agree it something in the powders fomulation, some lots of Varget smell like Pepto after I have fired them.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Not to hijack but,

One of my favorite childhood memories is the smell of a fired paper shotgun shell. I collect paper hulls, live or fired, and Federal Monark smells the best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts