M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So new member. Got my first M1A. Took it shooting. It's a scout squad.
It failed to fully load the round into the chamber. I could pull the bolt back a bit and let go and they would go into the chamber and fire regularly. From there it might act normal or it might do it again. Not sure what's the deal. Check out what it did to the brass.
The 3 rounds are Hornady .308 and the rest are lake city 7.62
20200705_164916.jpg
20200705_164905.jpg

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
If it's the original barrel, give SAI Customer Service a call. Tell them you would like to email them those photos. They will probably want the rifle. Make sure you send those cases with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a real bummer. I've owned the gun for week. Shot it once. It's brand new.

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
Years ago I had a stainless Loaded model. The rough chamber would leave rings around the shoulders of fired cases. Sometimes they wouldn't extract.

SAI replaced the barrel on their dime.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
The brass marks especially on the LC look like the rounds are running up against something on the way to fully seating into the chamber. Doesnt look like incipient separation marks. SAI will want it back either way I think.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Some how I think the dude that did the finish reaming on that rifle is going to get a talking to about cleaning his reamer next time.
Or getting a new one .

I have to ask , did you clean this Rifle before you shot it ? Not that it will make that chamber any better . What Hornady ammo was that brass from , just curious . The marks on the LC Brass look a little different than the Hornady . Yes, contact SAI .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or getting a new one .

I have to ask , did you clean this Rifle before you shot it ? Not that it will make that chamber any better . What Hornady ammo was that brass from , just curious . The marks on the LC Brass look a little different than the Hornady . Yes, contact SAI .
I did not clean it before. The Hornady was Hornady custom 150 grain say .308. Just a box I got at the range to use a different ammo.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Awesome. Glad things are working out for you.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Look into chamber, and tell us what you see.

I use a flashlight on the muzzle, and small mirror in the chamber, to see whats what.
I think someone sells a cheap fiber optic camera do-dad, that you connect to your phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the shipping notification today. Paperwork says they reamed and polished the chamber. Hopefully I can take it out this weekend and give it a whirl. See if the new mags work well too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Got the shipping notification today. Paperwork says they reamed and polished the chamber. Hopefully I can take it out this weekend and give it a whirl. See if the new mags work well too.
Good news! I would be curious if you could find someone close to take a look at the chamber with a borescope and double check headspace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shot 90 rounds today. No issues. Guess a Reaming and polishing of the chamber was what the doctor ordered. Both new checkmate magazines worked flawlessly as did the pro mag magazine I got at the local gun store even though the spring seems much squishier than the CMI mags.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts