M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I realize this is a purely hypothetical, but if the military went to the M-14 and the Geneva convention and all of those types of treaties disappeared, what bullet do you think they would use?

Do you think it would be a BTHP for its accuracy? Pointed softpoints for better expansion? Steel core for increased penetration? FMJ for most reliable operation?

If cost was no object I would think raufoss, but taking cost into consideration I would think the pointed soft points would be the best combination of accuracy, expansion, and feeding reliability.

What do you think?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Right now the military likes OTM (Open Tip Match) bullets, which have been deemed not to be "Hollow Points" or "Expanding" bullets.

If it were up to me, I would use something like the Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock X, or similar from other manufacturer's. Lots of penetration, good expansion, and accurate. The Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock X is my bullet of choice for hunting.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Right now the military likes OTM (Open Tip Match) bullets, which have been deemed not to be "Hollow Points" or "Expanding" bullets.

If it were up to me, I would use something like the Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock X, or similar from other manufacturer's. Lots of penetration, good expansion, and accurate. The Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock X is my bullet of choice for hunting.
I agree with you about the TSX, and as a benefit they use green technology!GI6

·
Registered
813 Posts
Russian 7n1 ammo uses some kind of steel core with an air pocket and a lead knocker in the base to destabilize the bullet on impact.
No telling what kind of projectile technology we'd come up with, minus the rules we follow.
Little Sputnik bullets maybe.dance2

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking probably something with decent penetration but pretty fast expansion. Really, I guess the same type load for whitetail would be good, except you don't have to worry about fragmentation as much.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hollow point, with some pork mixed in for good measure. GI2

·
Registered
600 Posts
if it were up to me ide arm our guys with a heavy 165gr sp round, that would have a nice x cut up top so when it comes out it hits you with a 1/2 inch of pain.

pack your bags up fellas war is over, because there are no casulties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts