M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Today? Or when it came out?

I think Patton was a great enough general he'd be up on the latest and greatest military technology and tactics. The satellite may be the current "single greatest battle implement ever devised by man."

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
"The second greatest battle implement ever devised, after the Garand."

;)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ping

General Patton proclaimed the M1 Garand to be "the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man."

What do you think General Patton would have said about the M14?
I think he would have said something like this

"Awe @#%$, no more pinging sound here fellas. Use this M14 battle rifle instead."

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's what I think !

I think he would of said " Hope them krauts don't have them !" CAMOHELMET

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
He'd say, Holy $h!t..Its got rock & roll..........I WANT ONE!

·
Resident Rascal
13,506 Posts
"Now you can kill twenty of the sons of bitches before you have to reload!"

·
Registered
109 Posts
"How come the idiots didn't name it the Patton rifle!"

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
ill be the dissenting voice. i believe he would have done much like he did with tanks. there was a superior tank available that could go toe to toe with german armor unlike the sherman, but patton made a stink and forced it not to be built until the very end of the war because it didnt fit his doctrine. i personally believe he would have done the same if an M14 were available. the M1 doesnt take a back seat to many battle rifles, even today, so he would have been more correct with that than his assessment of the tanks.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
General Patton proclaimed the M1 Garand to be "the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man."

What do you think General Patton would have said about the M14?

Interesting question. He'd probably have said something controversial. Great field general, lucky to have had some good men to tidy up after him.

·
Registered
88 Posts
heck with the M1, you dont even have to remove the old one, just press in the new clip.
Whenever I ponder this question, I have a lot to think about.
Fiberglass stocks improve all weather accuracy, which he would've liked.
The flash hider would've been most useful during the night and somewhat useful during the day. I'm sure this would've also been a major point in his evaluation of the rifle.
From my understanding, the first feilded M14s were select fire. I also understand they were very difficult to control when in full auto. I think for this reason, General Patton would've rejected it.
Then comes reloading ammunition. When not firing rapid or full auto, a huge magazine usually isn't necessary. Also, it takes longer to reload the M14 than the M1 because with the M14, you have to remove and store the empty mag, then retreive and insert the new one, then manipulate the action. The M1 takes half the time to load because you only retreive the new clip and push it into the top of the rifle.
I think, given the war of the time, General Patton would've decided to keep the M1.
I also think, if he were offering opinions during Korea or Vietnam, the M14 may have been his pick.
I am however, certain, that if he were still alive when the M14 died and was replaced with the M16, he would've had many choice words for everyone involved.
In short, M1 vs. M14: His opinion may depend on the conflict at hand.
M1 or M14 vs M16: Not even a question, he'd favor the M1 or the M14, depending on the conflict at hand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts