M14 Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruger 10-22. Sold it by way of a personal protest (yeah, I know..stupid) when Ruger got weird on us, but later bought another one.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Ruger 10-22. Sold it by way of a personal protest (yeah, I know..stupid) when Ruger got weird on us, but later bought another one.
not knocking the 10/22 , never owned one , more of a curiosity question ,what makes people gravitate to it ,is it the capacity? ive always been a Marlin .22 guy ,and they have always served me well ,so i never considered shelling out the extra dough for the 10/22

·
Registered
109 Posts
not knocking the 10/22 , never owned one , more of a curiosity question ,what makes people gravitate to it ,is it the capacity? ive always been a Marlin .22 guy ,and they have always served me well ,so i never considered shelling out the extra dough for the 10/22
In my personal case it was because a guy I went ground squirrel shooting with had one and scored a lot higher
than I did with the bolt action single shot I had borrowed since I didn't have my own .22. I shot his and bought
one for myself.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
In my personal case it was because a guy I went ground squirrel shooting with had one and scored a lot higher
than I did with the bolt action single shot I had borrowed since I didn't have my own .22. I shot his and bought
one for myself.
thanks for the reply , i can understand that , thats pretty much why im a 870 shotgun guy , it was my first because thats what my step father had , and i tend to stick to what i know

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks for the reply , i can understand that , thats pretty much why im a 870 shotgun guy , it was my first because thats what my step father had , and i tend to stick to what i know
My former department permitted privately owned duty weapons. I bought a beater 870 at a pawn shop dirt cheap and had it set up. I still have that gun and it now sports a 14" VangComp barrel and mag follower and the side carrier that I designed in conjunction with them. It is my "greeter gun" for unwelcome visitors. Also fun is the looks I get when I used to shoot birds with it. Two wild boar (Brenneke Classic Magnum) and our turkey one Thanksgiving long ago. There are lots of newer designed shotguns on the market now but I'm old and like old stuff I guess.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
My former department permitted privately owned duty weapons. I bought a beater 870 at a pawn shop dirt cheap and had it set up. I still have that gun and it now sports a 14" VangComp barrel and mag follower and the side carrier that I designed in conjunction with them. It is my "greeter gun" for unwelcome visitors. Also fun is the looks I get when I used to shoot birds with it. Two wild boar (Brenneke Classic Magnum) and our turkey one Thanksgiving long ago. There are lots of newer designed shotguns on the market now but I'm old and like old stuff I guess.
lol , i can absolutely relate , we get set in our ways and its tough to deviate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Growing up we were a rifle family and had no pistols. I had several hand-me-down rifles/shotguns at my convenience but always long guns. No pistols, that's how you hurt yourself.
So first gun I actually shelled out money for was when I was at school. I bought a Colt Officer's model .45. I couldn't hit jack with it! After awhile I got fed up and traded up to a Gov't model, my avatar in fact. Now I could hit the barn door and not just its broad side!

vic

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1st gun was a Ruger 10/22 purchased on sale at Gemco ($99). The next year I purchased a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Had a lot of fun with both. The 1st shotgun I got was a Remington 1100 in trade for services rendered (reloaded a PC, configured a router for a home network). My 1st (and only) M1A was a 1999 standard loaded that I purchased from my buddies family (after he passed away). The gun came with select USGI parts (Bolt, Hammer, and trigger assembly). I have since upgraded it to Super Match spec through a program Springfield was offering. Still have the USGI parts but everything else has been changed. It is a beautiful (and accurate) rifle now..

·
Premium Member
M1A Springfield Standard Walnut
8 Posts
My parents got me a single shot 20 gauge when I was 10, then a Glenfield 75C .22. Still have them both. The first gun I bought with my own money was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 in stainless steel when I was about 15. Of course Dad had to sign the papers though. Still regret selling that in my late 20’s.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I was cleaning out the trunk of my car in anticipation of selling it and found a receipt from the early 2000s for the first firearm I ever bought. It was a Mossberg 500 and it cost me about $255 back then. I no longer have it and don't regret selling it at all, I have much better and useful firearms now. 😈

·
Registered
742 Posts
The first one that I purchased for myself was an Anschutz Model 1413 Super Match 54 for competitive small bore shooting. I had other firearms at the time but they were given to me at various times starting when I was about 8 (Stephens 410 with a 3" chamber). Still have both of these and have used the 410 to train my children and a few nieces.

Nelson

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
First gun I bought myself was a Ruger Black Hawk .357 magnum. Four and five/eights" barrel (if I remember correctly). Traded it off a few months after I got it for something I could afford to shoot - a Ruger Single Six convertible with a 5.5" barrel. Eventually traded it off on a Ruger Mk 1 5.5" bull barrel and it is still the best shooting .22 handgun I've ever had. Shoots better than some 22 rifles I've owned.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I was given a 10/22 as my first rifle but my first purchase of my own was a sks. I will never let the 10/22 go and regret trading the sks away years ago.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts