M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
A used Remington Speedmaster .22 from a local gun store in my hometown. I was 14 and bought it with the money I saved from mowing yards that summer. This was back in the early 80's. The store owner was the county constable for many years and a good man.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is a really entertaining thread, getting a hint of how all of our addictions got started.

My first firearm was a 1903 Springfield that had been sporterized and mounted into a nice handmade stock by the Great Uncle that I was named after. Mom gave it to me for my 16th birthday and I proceeded to refinish it with a careful sanding and about 60 coats of hand rubbed linseed oil. It spent a lot of time teaching me shooting and reloading.

The First one I bought was a used Dan Wesson 15-2 in 357 Magnum. A coworker mentioned wanting to sell it for $200 and I quickly freed him of it. I did a huge amount of my early reloading for that pistol.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,679 Posts
My very 1st was in 1985 when I was 13 I bought a Winny 1917 Enfield in .30-'06 that was in excellent condition. Back in the day CA wasn't bad and I bought it when private sale was legal, for $65, nobody cared about my age back then.
m14brian

·
Registered
83 Posts
First rifle/shotgun I bought was a Winchester Defender 12 gauge. FFl I got it from did not order the correct model I asked for and as a dumb kid I said sure who cares. Sold it later on. First handgun I bought was a like new in the box Colt Detective Special the day after I turned 21.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ruger Vaquero in .44 Magnum, purchased a few days after my 21st birthday. I bought it as soon as I could finish final exams and move home from college for the summer. I have been shooting since I was five, and my dad bought me a few guns over the years before I got the Vaquero. It was the first one I purchased with my own money. I still have it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Colt Series 70 Government Model. Still have it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In 1968 before the 68 gun control act was passed I bought a Savage single shot 20 ga shotgun. All the store owner wanted was to verify my parents okay. I was 10 yrs old. Price was $30.00 then.
I mowed a lot of lawns and washed and waxed a lot of cars for that money back then.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was gifted a Ithaca Super 66 20ga at 9YO. Then a .22 bolt, .22 revolver for trapping and a '94 30-30 for deer hunting all by age 13.
First I purchased was a Calico M100 .22 in '83, the bricks I put through that one. Since we're in the shotgun thread the first bought was a 1100 Special Purpose in '84.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A 6" S&W 629 was the first handgun I purchased (not the brightest move)
A Mossberg Mountaineer 1500 in 300 Winchester Magnum was the first long gun (I had some kinda magnum fetish....)
A Winchester 1200 pump for my first scattergun.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
1972 on leave from boot camp. A Winchester Model 94 lever action in .30-30 from Monkey Wards. Guy I knew there tried to talk me into a Marlin, which is a good gun, but had my sights set on the Winchester. Also my first deer was with that rifle, a Whidbey Island dog deer that cleaned out to about 75 pounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first gun was a H&R,16 gauge, single barrel shotgun, dated Feb 27, 1900 (I still have it). I saw it in a junk shop in Journal Square, Jersey City. I was 15 years old so the owner wouldn't sell it to me unless I brought my mother. She reluctantly came and the sale was made for $12.00. The burly shop owner with a chewed cigar hanging out of his mouth broke it down and wrapped it in butcher paper and tied it with string. My mother wondered "He can't get hurt with this can he?" The store owner stopped, looked up at her and said, "Lady, it's a gun".

·
Registered
89 Posts
About 1970 got a shiny, nickle plated H & R revolver in .22 lr. Think I paid $89 for it. It would hit a minute of can well enough.
I was hooked..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

·
NSR
1,490 Posts
My first firearms purchase was a used Sheridan 5mm air rifle. Paid $15.00 of my lawn mower money in order to get it. Dad chipped in my first can of 5mm pellets. Now, sixty years later I still own a Sheridan...having worn out a couple over the years. Great first gun...to be sure.

Wes

21 - 40 of 69 Posts