M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was a single shot shotgun (I can’t even remember the brand) but I remember it was called the silver hunter. Super cheap is the only reason I bought it, didn’t have any money then I just wanted to buy a gun when I turned 18, I believe it was $129.99 at the bargain barn in Jasper. That thing would just about kill you every time you pulled the trigger. I tried finding them online and I can’t find them, I remember it was made in Turkey though. What was all y’all’s first purchases?

edit: it was a TR imports silver eagle 12 gauge youth. I can’t find one that looks like mine but it’s stainless, all I see now is blued.

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
1967 I bought a Mosin 7.62x54R carbine for $15. from a fellow Marine headed to SE Asia about 6 months before I followed him to Summer Camp in Vietnam.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Shotgun, right? 870 12 ga. modified 2-3/4 plain barrel. Early to mid 80s. Shortened the barrel and made it my car gun. About the tenth firearm I owned at that time.

First firearm was a Marlin bolt action .22 magnum just after turning 16. In retrospect, the magnum was a mistake due to ammo cost.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Back in the 70s (Texas) you could stop at a U-Totem (like a 7-11) and get a hunting liscense, pick up some shotgun shells and some .22 ammo. You had to sign a register for all .22LR back then.

After I got my 10/22 not all that long after getting the magnum, I signed those registers often.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Universal M1 Carbine. I bought it at a gun show when I was 15. I took it home and my parents wanted to hang on to the ammo until I would take it out shooting.

My Dad wasn't too keen on me just going out and buying it. But he bought me a Hoppes cleaning kit and made a wall mount for it in my room. And a Shooters Bible or the old book with all the various prices of guns. I don't have the carbine anymore but I do have the cleaning kit and that old book.

I think because I was with my friend and his Dad, who took us to the show, that my parents were more accepting of the whole thing. I don't remember dropping any hints about it beforehand. Now my friend ahead of time told me you might see something and bring some cash, etc. He was getting his first guns around that time.

He had a fun story about carrying his first K98 out through a mall uncased. Bolt was open. Maybe his Dad actually walked it out.
You're not supposed to do that in West Baltimore anymore. It's frowned upon. I'm near certain of it.

Fun times. Those were the days.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Not sure I remember but I think my actual first purchase was a Ruger Single Six .22, around 1970 or so. I had other guns but those were bought or given to me by my dad.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My first shotgun was a cutdown 1897 Winchester. I still have it but it was returned in a box with missing parts after a guy said he could refinish it. He did not refinish but he took it apart and lost some of the parts before he returned it. I have the replacement parts and I plan to refinish it someday. The 97 has sat in the box for over 40 years. I will refinish and assemble it someday or l will let one of the sons-in-law have it.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Not sure I remember but I think my actual first purchase was a Ruger Single Six .22, around 1970 or so. I had other guns but those were bought or given to me by my dad.
Similar. First purchase was a Ruger BearCat in .22. Wish I still had it. Dad gave me a Browning Sweet 16 for my 16th birthday. Still have that one. Family owned a service station when I was young. Remember Dad taking firearms in trade for gas and repairs when times were hard so collection was an odd lot of handguns and rifles; some of which I still have.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
S&W 686, first purchased.

So cute.

But before that, I was gifted a Remington 700 SPS bull barrel in .223 by my fiancée to be wife and her family.

Before that, I don't know if it counts, but I bought a crossman single shot pellet/bb pistol from a friend during high school 'brunch', exchanged in a gym bag like a drug deal surrounded by other students. I felt so naughty.

If I pumped it up 50 times, at point blank range, it would pop a hole through a metal garbage can with a bb. I blasted flies on my ceiling, blew up lego men, filled my closet full of shot, that my dad later discovered when he remodeled my room into my mom's office.

Unfortunately, they are both gone now. Pistol got confiscated by police, and while Kevin did become a Marine like he wanted to, he also got cancer not too long after that. I miss that guy. He could get his butt handed to him in a match, have to restart, and would get right back up and go to the center like the now other guy was really in trouble, and sometimes, actually, the other guy was. Wherever he is, I hope he knows he was admired, for that attitude.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
1975 Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.
Paid $75.00 for it.
Followed by two USGI M1 Carbines in 1977.
Paid $75.00 each for those.
Only shotgun I ever bought was a .410 Snake Charmer.
Don't remember what I paid for it in 1984. Left that one at the inlaws ranch, so basically lost it in the divorce.
Inherited a 1948 Remington Sportsman in 16 guage.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts