M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a request for some advice in purchasing an M1A/M14. I shoot high power with an MSR and I live in Massachusetts. I am thinking of going over to an M14/M1A for high power.

I was looking at pre Sept 1994 made SAI match rifles, but am not dead set on one. I won't go into my thinking about the reasons to own pre-ban. Enough to say we have an AG here with anti Second Amendment rabies.

So my questions.

What makes of pre 1994 rifles available to civilians?

Aside from the added weight and bulk, what is the performance difference in MOA between rifles without the rear lug and rifles with it?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of a pre 1994 SAI rifle over newer SAI's or the more expensive, custom smaller makers (take your pick LRB, JRA, SEI, etc. - apologies if I left anyone out.)

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,117 Posts
Pre-ban rifle are not anything all that special now that the Feds have let the AWB sunset. (some states may still have issues). In 94 the players were Springfield, Armscorp, and Smith Enterprise. There were earlier makers, but I wouldn't recommend them for a competition rifle. Smith had the best receiver at the time.

While there is nothing all that wrong with Springfield, I'd recommend a rifle built on the newer LRB, GunWorks, Bula, Smith, or Fulton. Fulton is cast like Springfield, but they use more GI parts. Forged receivers are preferable and most are going to be custom built. Fulton and LRB do offer factory builds.

Lug guns do not shoot better than non-lugged although there are some advantages with the lug. Significant accuracy improvement is not one of the advantages. Accuracy is a product of the quality of parts and construction.

· Registered
16,422 Posts
Rifles need to be judged on their individual merit. Legality would be the only reason to choose a pre-ban rifle over a post-ban.

The idea that pre-ban rifles are all USGI is a falsehood, as is the idea that USGI parts are more accurate than commercial parts.

When purchasing a 25 year old match rifle, you need to accept the fact that it may not shoot as well as it did when it was built. RNGR2

· Registered
112 Posts
This is a request for some advice in purchasing an M1A/M14. I shoot high power with an MSR and I live in Massachusetts. I am thinking of going over to an M14/M1A for high power.

I was looking at pre Sept 1994 made SAI match rifles, but am not dead set on one. I won't go into my thinking about the reasons to own pre-ban. Enough to say we have an AG here with anti Second Amendment rabies.

So my questions.

What makes of pre 1994 rifles available to civilians?

Aside from the added weight and bulk, what is the performance difference in MOA between rifles without the rear lug and rifles with it?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of a pre 1994 SAI rifle over newer SAI's or the more expensive, custom smaller makers (take your pick LRB, JRA, SEI, etc. - apologies if I left anyone out.)
Hey there fellow inmate. I too am imprisoned here in MA. Just went down the same route and have a pre-ban M1A coming soon from another forum member. I'm going to PM you with a lead on another.

What I've learned is you want an SA with serial number before 84K or there abouts. See this thread. http://m14forum.com/reference/6748-sa-inc-m1a-serial-number-born-date-database-000001-100000-a.html

· Registered
5,750 Posts
doesnt the rear lug mainly just give the bedding job more longevity because of the extra surface area? A rear lug with a screw is another variation. Not sure, but think the screw just helps secure the action to the stock better to provide more consistency "in theory".

Ted, or Mr. Luppino, can you comment on this above and educate us on the lug/bedding life, and lug with the screw? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,117 Posts
With lugs, accuracy is not usually significantly improved, although it may help some in some rifles. There are two distinct advantages to a lug. One is it can take stress off the receiver if a pillar and screw are installed properly. Springfield does not use a pillar in their Super Match lugged receiver. Trigger group clamping pressure can contribute to malfunctions like failures to extract and other issues. In a non-lugged gun, clamping pressure is required, but not in a pillar bedded lug gun. The other advantage is that the action can be removed and replaced in the stock and the screw can be torqued to apply proper bedding pressure. This means the rifle will settle in the bedding without a loss of accuracy for the first 10 to 20 shots. This loss is common in NM rifles that do not have a lug with pillar and screw. Longer bedding life is an add, but not the most important factor in a lugged receiver.

· Registered
11,812 Posts
I hate to say this but I see a lot of folks here and elsewhere saying they are a prisoner of one anti gun state or another. This is silly. You are only a prisoner if you allow yourself to be one. If one does not like the politics or position of their Gov or AG or whatever on any specific issue and feels somewhere else would be better then go there, but don't call yourself a prisoner. If you decide its too much trouble or expense to move, then just suck it up. No state is perfect.

· Registered
132 Posts
I hate to say this but I see a lot of folks here and elsewhere saying they are a prisoner of one anti gun state or another. This is silly. You are only a prisoner if you allow yourself to be one. If one does not like the politics or position of their Gov or AG or whatever on any specific issue and feels somewhere else would be better then go there, but don't call yourself a prisoner. If you decide its too much trouble or expense to move, then just suck it up. No state is perfect.
Whoa now Pilgrim! Texas is as close to perfect as it gets! Yeee haw!!! 🤠

· Registered
56 Posts
I live in MA all m14 models are legal for purchase and sale. Mine is 85% new manufactured BULA parts

Per the attorney general:

Q: Are there examples or categories of weapons that are not copies or duplicates of Assault Weapons?

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not copies or duplicates of enumerated Assault Weapons. For example, the following are not copies or duplicates under G.L. c. 140, § 121:
Any Springfield Armory M1A or substantially similar model weapon;

See for yourself, select the link below and check the question and answer section

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html

· Registered
11,812 Posts
Every state has some really stupid laws. Here in WA we have a very sensible in my view CC law and its easy to get. Some would say too easy. Not me. On the other hand full auto is not legal here like it is in some 30 or more states. We have a strong pro gun state constitution as well but a whole slew of anti gun politicians from the idiot gov on down to the AG, and the state supreme court is not insane.

Its all a trade off. WA has for the most part moderate weather and a fair economy and I was born and raised here, but its far from perfect. I choose to stay here despite its flaws and I certainly don't consider myself a prisoner of WA state. This is America. We can move to whatever place best suits us. Moving is a real pain, but it all depends on what's most important.

Sorry for the temporary derail

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Not quite my friend !

Florida IS just about perfect as far as gun laws go !

JOKER OLIVEHELME

Reactions: ripcord

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Whoa now Pilgrim! Texas is as close to perfect as it gets! Yeee haw!!! ��
True, but the problem here in north central Texas at least is places to shoot with most all ranges prohibit FMJ. Our avg range trip is 200 rds. and OTM loads get real expensive real fast added to range fees. A few members here have been nice enough to let me know about a coupe of places open to public I didn't know about, but others many here stuck with very limited options in addition to no FMJ where affordable public ranges past 100 yds. are almost non-existent. Over Thanksgiving my youngest Son's girlfriends family invited us up to their land in Nocona where they bermed and sheltered a 200 yard range marked out 50 yd. spans. He set it up with all kinds of scenarios, radio controlled silhouette backers, and 3 small hills off the sides of the flat. 12 of us spent near 12 hours firing the M1A's, handguns, shot some skeet, and got a pig just as the sun came up. Almost forgot what it's like to be able to shoot what I want past 100 yds. AND be left alone for a change. Guys here say options are much better down around the Brazos Valley and of course west Texas, but long drives from here. Despite lawmakers with good sense here public land is very limited here as was in bulk sold off for post Civil War reconstruction costs.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
That's funny, I laughed.

But on a side note, I have compassion for those people who live behind the lines of freedom. I am sorry that there once free states are not free anymore. Hopefully someone can fix it or you are provided with an opportunity to escape the oppression in which you find your self. Because it is a slide and once they take one thing, they will take another. It's a fact.

May all be blessed with freedom.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.