M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 67 and made a appointment for Shingles Vaccine Part 2.

When I got Part 1 a few months ago I also got the Polysaccharide PPV23 Pneumococcal vaccine.

And in 2013 TDAP Tetanus, diptheria, pertussis vaccine. Get this every 10 years they say.

All courtesy of VA.

No significant adverse effects.

I routinely decline the annual flu vaccine. But I used to get them. But they gave me the flu for a few days.

What are you guys doing on this front?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm 65. Last I heard you get shingles from exposure to chicken pox, don't know if that's still true but I never had chicken pox. As for the rest of the list, none of them except tetanus. I get one of those every 6-7 years after a mt.bike crash and I have to get stitched up. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
225 Posts
I assume I'm a bit younger than most of you, but I have the vaccines required for school (MMR).

I used to be scared of flu shots because of [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOmNuIYFD7g"]this girl[/ame] but when she was caught faking her supposed disability, I'll get them when it's convenient to do so (I get them free at work). Every now and then I'll skip it, but it's not really a conscious decision to skip, I just forget to go in for it.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
I don't think so....tetanus shots only because of workers hands....
As much traveling overseas we did as a military family, I have the immune system of an **** roach....
Yet, I'm just shy of 60yrs old.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
146 Posts
haven't had one since I got the chickenpox vaccine. knock on wood i haven't gotten the flu once since they started offering vaccines for it despite never getting the shot

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've heard both pro and con on the shingles shot. I can tell you from experience that shingles can be the most painful thing you can run into. If I take all the broken bones, operations and gunshot wounds I've had and combine them on a one to ten chart they come out to about a one with shingles way above an beyond a ten.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haven't had any since the "mid 60's" (that's the LAST century!). Just don't seem to get sick, or have the "other issues listed". I'm NOT a "pollyanna". Just not "high risk" in certain ways. As to "shingles", I may be wrong, but I do eat a "lot of different fruit's, and have heard "anecdotal info" that this helps.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
15 or so years ago I had a severe reaction to a vaccine. Lucky I lived through it. Once better I started learning about all the vaccines and the real possible side effects, pros/cons, etc. Based on that, never again will I get another willingly.
I was shocked to find out congress gave vaccine companies liability immunity for damages/injuries caused by vaccines. They cant be sued for vaccines, so its no wonder they are making so many and pushing them so hard.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Never used to get the flu shots & rarely got the flu. Will turn 70 next month so doc says get the flu shot every year + Pneumonia shots. Both wife and I had chickenpox when little kids and both got 2 shingles shots last year. She was the in the 5% and got the shingles a few months ago! Nothing is 100%

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Last vaccination I got was for tetanus when I caught my thumb in a large Kalamazoo horizontal bandsaw.
That was in 1987.
Other than corticosteroid shots in my shoulders, knees and foot no vaccines for me.
Rarely get sick and if I do it's generally related to my allergies.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
15 or so years ago I had a severe reaction to a vaccine. Lucky I lived through it. Once better I started learning about all the vaccines and the real possible side effects, pros/cons, etc. Based on that, never again will I get another willingly.
I was shocked to find out congress gave vaccine companies liability immunity for damages/injuries caused by vaccines. They cant be sued for vaccines, so its no wonder they are making so many and pushing them so hard.
I went to the website (via CDC via VA Health website on vaccines.). Pretty sketchy scheme. Protects the mfgrs. Average claim time is 2 to 3 years per the website. Good luck. There is some bad stuff out there they want to put into you. Gotta choose, I guess.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
In early 1969 I got the Hong Kong flu shot because the Army made EVERYONE get it. Somehow, I've managed to survive the past 51 years without another flu shot.
Same thing in '76. Swine Flu. Everybody in the Army HAD to get the shots. USAEUR was sent the first batches. -Lloyd 🍺

·
Eye Master
3,807 Posts
Got a bunch when I was working an occasionally travelling to China. Word for the wise: many vaccines cause an immune response (that's what they are supposed to do), when you get a blood test, the look for immune response. So several years ago I got a blood test and the doc called my back and said I had Hepititis. I went white and dizzy, wondering how I got that, and said 'damn, and I was vaccinated against that', to which he replied 'oh, if you were vaccinated, that would make the test come back positive'. Son of a b*tch! Maybe ask if I was vaccinated before hitting me with a diagnosis?

Other than that, I started getting flu shot. Every year I go to the SHOT show. Every year I get the SHOT Cruds. Got sick of it. This year I got the flu shot, and didn't get sick after SHOT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts