1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I would think that would work. Any silicone that dries to a hard, but flexible texture and resists high temperatures should be okay. I used a red colored hitemp silicone that was for exhaust gasket use.

·
Retired
4,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
IIRC the ASI-or-whatever designation is RTV 106. Long as it meets that it should be high-temp enough for a M14 handguard or a M1 front band.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
So, what happens if you do not glue the handguard, and just let it float? Has anyone actually done a controlled test in glued and not glued handguard and the effect on repeatable accuracy?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would like to see some pics of the handgard mod as this is something I want to try to see if it helps out on accuracy, at present is pretty snug with the clip on the back and kinda wedged between then 2 bands

·
Registered
744 Posts
Check the stickys, and yes it makes a difference. It keeps the hand guard from rattling up an down. I saw the change when I trimmed and glued the hand guard.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check the stickys, and yes it makes a difference. It keeps the hand guard from rattling up an down. I saw the change when I trimmed and glued the hand guard.
I looked thru the stickies and unless I missed something there is not one that shows how to do the mod, after reading thru what I did find I am guessing you trim the sides down to ensure a good gap between it and the stock then you trim the ends so they don't touch either band and put like 4-5 dots of silicone on the underside of the band and while still wet put back on and let dry.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well I went to pull clip on my handguard to remove it and do some sanding and for the life of me I could not get it to clear the Sadlak mount I have installed so after about 10mins of trying to wiggle it off I said the heck with it and pulled the FS and GC and popped it right off, I taped the ends and sides to give me a straight line to sand and it removed approx 3/16" from all sides, I thought I had some silicone to put on the ends but no I do have a question about the clip, If I am free floating the guard do I put the clip on or is it glued on with the silicone ? pardon my ignorance but I have searched for this mod with pics and cannot find any

Thanks

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You don't want the "floated" handguard to interfere with your scope rig, but some of us bend the ends of the clip just slightly to give it more lift near the receiver and dab some epoxy under it or a drop each side to hold the handguard in place. Your silicone oughtta be all you need up front where the handguard males into the barrel band's female. Goo it up & slide it in. Then snap the clip in place. You'd want to consider a little silicone under the handguard only if it's still making contact w/ the barrel, more likely the op rod guide, that you wish to dampen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts