M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sirs,
I'm in my M14 H&R rebuilt project, but the barrel will be a new one, a Lothar Walther exactly, here in France that is the better we could have easily with border.
I don't want to do a mistake about the twist rate, what is more appropriate to shoot 150 to 180 gr bullet, 1.10 or 1.12?

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
Either one is fine. If you plan to shoot mostly military surplus ammo with 147gr. bullets, I'd go with the 1/12 twist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I plan to be able to shoot at 600 meters, and I think Sierra 168gr will be fine, do you think 1.12 twist will stabilize well this bullet weight?

·
Registered
376 Posts
OK, I plan to be able to shoot at 600 meters, and I think Sierra 168gr will be fine, do you think 1.12 twist will stabilize well this bullet weight?
If you know the length, weight, caliber, and proposed velocity of the bullet you plan to shoot, then use the Greenhill Calculator at the following link below to play around with and determine twist rate. There other factors to consider as most manufacturers bullets are not the same, except in caliber. A Nosler 168 grain, .308 caliber, HPBT match bullet is 1.175" OAL with a specific gravity (8.9) for a copper jacket. The calculator shows a 1:12 twist rate to be sufficient to stablize this bullet. If you used a Nosler 175 grain HPBT match bullet at a length of 1.250", and depending on the velocity, it's right on the edge of a 1:12 and you might be better off with a 1:11 twist. So you need to know the specifics of the bullet you plan to shoot to make sure.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Bullet length probably has as much or more to do with it as weight. As bullets get heavier they get longer and need more twist. Current 168-175 gr. bullets will work in either 1/10 or 1/12 as has been said.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I went with the 1.10 for mine. def. look at it

France ha WOW the M14 craze is spreading HAWK

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if you want to shoot the heavier bullets, go with the 1:10". there is no use in picking the 1-12 and finding out it wont stabilize the bullet you want to use. i really like the 1-11" in a 308 for its versatility.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The 1:10's only started showing up once Sierra introduced the 175gr, which was pretty late in the game. I don't think I ever heard of anyone with problems shooting 175's out of the 1:12. Might not be a slam-dunk like the 168 is, but you ought to be able to get it to fly just fine.

I shot a 1:10 for several years. It was a good barrel but hit or miss with 155grs and less. The 1:12 I replaced it with is much better behaved across the board. I shoot 125's at 200yds and 155 or 175s the rest of the way to 600yds. My next barrel will be a 1:12 also.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
See if you can get...

a Lothar Walther in 1 in 11. I have one in a Remington 700 (Hart bbl) that is a great shooter.
Bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I will do my order this morning, I hope 1.12 will be available, it seems the best compromise.

A last question, for M14 durability, it is better to shoot light weight like 147-150gr, or this is not a problem?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The lighter bullets are going to be easier on the rifle. I shoot the Speer 125gr out to 200yds because the recoil is much much less and it's extremely accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts