M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Headspace and USGI parts (or their equivalent). Early ones used USGI dimension parts and later s/n's generally used Chinese parts.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Agreed. Some of the early Federal Ordnance M1A's are pretty sweet rifles. Problem was they came out about the time the Poly's did too. Price wars caused the company to re-strategise how they were to stay in business. The quality of the guns changed.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lot's of folks have concerns with them but I think some of it is just people repeating what they have heard instead of hands on experiences. Regardless, I have a late SN FedOrd M14 and I have had only one issue with it since I got it. The Op-Rod was a lose fit and would detach if charged at an angle. Appeard to be a worn tab. I replaced it with a USGI Op-Rod and it installed and worked with no fitment issues and has performed flawlessly since. I also replaced the hammer with a USGI based on feedback from this forum regarding it as a possible hardness issue.

I shoot my M14 regularly and have found it to be reliable, and as accurate as most others I see at the range in the 50 and 100 yard open sight ranges. I have a FIELD HS guage that I used early on to check to see if it was safe to shoot, and it still passes HS today after hundreds of rounds.

Not trying to be homer on this but, at least by my direct experience, the FedOrd I have doesn't give me cause to be concerned and is a nice additon to my battle rifle type collection.

Your mileage may vary..... GI2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some years ago, I had a customer bring his FedOrd M14 in to the shop. The interesting thing was---It had a two piece receiver! It broke in half at the back of the bolt stop window. He stated that he had fired at least 1000 rds. with no problems until it decided to seperate. I don't know if he had a slightly out of battery discharge where the firing pin was exposed through an "out of spec" safety gate on the receiver or what. We got him a SAI receiver, a new barrel and salvaged what we could of his remaining residue. It did have a USGI bolt. I put it into a USGI glass stock and sent him away with a gun that shot well and functioned properly. That was over 10 years ago --so I guess it is still working fine. I think that it is very smart to check the headspace often. Safety first.
That's my personal experience for what it's worth.
Craig

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys for all the info. I already have a nice shooting armscor M14 and a buddy of mine should have acted quicker on this Fed Ord. M14 serial number 88XX. He wanted $750 for it and was 2 hours away and missed out. I now know what to look for if I see one again. again thanks for everyone's time on this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi everyone, i am new here. i just got a FED ORD M14SA, with a C prefix. From what i can tell everything minus the reciever is chinese or taiwan made. the reciever has the only USGI parts i can ID and thats the elevation and windage knob. what i need to know is with this reciever can i put a USGI bolt/op rod and barrel on it ? my goal is to replace all non USGI parts. thank you. Rob

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Welcome aboard Elvis.

You can install the USGI parts that you listed onto your Fed Ord receiver.

If the barrel is not shot out and shoots acceptably, then why do you want to replace it? Since it's a decent chrome lined barrel that is, if its a Chinese barrel. The same goes for the Op rod, which if it's Chinese will be a one piece forged op rod. which are usually very good and superior to the cast op rods Springfield Armoury is using these days.

7th

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi 7th thank you for the reply. i guess i am just bias for USGI, i use to own a TRW M14 and a Springfield M1A made with all USGI parts. i stupidly sold both a long time ago and wish like hell i didnt DISHOUT i now aquired a Federal Ordnance one but found out afterwards that the reciever may not accept USGI parts, but now i have been corrected on that. you are right though, the op rod and barrell is good quality, but its chinese. being a foreigner i can no longer buy parts directly from the USA because of the ITAR restrictions unless someone selling the parts has an export permit. fortunetly there are still a lot of surplus USGI parts up here from all the Israeli return M14's.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
hi 7th thank you for the reply. i guess i am just bias for USGI, i use to own a TRW M14 and a Springfield M1A made with all USGI parts. i stupidly sold both a long time ago and wish like hell i didnt DISHOUT i now aquired a Federal Ordnance one but found out afterwards that the reciever may not accept USGI parts, but now i have been corrected on that. you are right though, the op rod and barrell is good quality, but its chinese. being a foreigner i can no longer buy parts directly from the USA because of the ITAR restrictions unless someone selling the parts has an export permit. fortunetly there are still a lot of surplus USGI parts up here from all the Israeli return M14's.
If I lived in Canada, I would get one of the recent Chicom M-14 rifles that you guys can get that we no longer can due to our stupid government. I've been hearing that with these latest M14 rifles they've improved on some of the shortcomings that the older ones had back in the early 90s. There has never been anything wrong with their chrome lined barrels, forged one piece op rods and their receivers are metallurgically and dimensionally as close to USGI that you can get.

7th

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi 7th you are right about the recent quality of the chicom M14. the average new in box rifle goes for $500 CDN, many owners end up switching to USGI parts. i not sure i completly understand what happened in the USA regarding M14's, you can no longer own original rifles?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.