M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation. My primary weapon for home self defense is going to be my pistol since I live in an apartment. This gun is also my back up to my rifle on hunting /stalking situations for hogs.

I bought a NIB 1911 .45 Regent back in December and I love the 1911 style. But after 4-500 rounds it seems to jam up at least once every 10-20 rounds. I use good mcCormick mags but the ammo has been cheap. Lawman which was horrible and Magtech which definitely had less jams than that crappy Lawman ammo.

basically I am not happy with it so I am going to get rid of it and get another pistol

I just got back from the range and shot the FNP45 HK45 and another 1911.

The HK45 felt the best. No jams on any of the rented guns today but I only put 33 rounds a piece in each gun.

I hate to not own a 1911 but I am thinking hard about that HK45 as my primary weapon.

Yes the 10 vs 15 round capacity on the HK vs FNP could be a big deal to some folks but I can live with it.

The recoil seemed way better than the 1911 and a lil better than the FNP.

The trigger pull was nicer on the FNP.

ANY FNP or HK45 or 1911 guys want to chime in on what your thought process is for finding that perfect fit for your exact needs and how each gun has fit your style?

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,881 Posts
You might try some higher end 1911s, you'll be much happier than with the Regent I believe. I'd recommend the Springfield Armory TRP, great features and quality but not excessively expensive. The 1911 is the one you can customize the most, good aftermarket parts abound, as well as custom specialty shops.

The FNP .45 is a really nice gun. I don't recommend HK.
m14

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own a FNP45 Tactical, a H&K USP 40 Tactical, a Glock 21SF, a Glock 30S and a Gold Cup National Match Series 70.

Of those five, the FNP is my favorite, but they all have their good points.

The FNP is big, but is SO easy to shoot. With the Trijicon RMR it's even more so. It comes with 3 15-round mags, a nice case and has normal right hand barrel threading unlike the H&K.

The H&K has a nice trigger, good balance and looks great. Being a USP, it has a non-standard rail and H&K accessories are expensive. It takes a $80 jet funnel and rare 16 round mags to get respectable capacity.

The 21SF is a very soft shooting 45ACP and is a great value for the money. Mine is a blue label Gen 3 and has the factory night sights.

The 30S is very easy to handle for such a small gun. My first time out I put 10 rounds into a silver dollar sized hole at 7 yards without trying hard. Amazing punch in a small package.

The Gold Cup is gorgeous and has a sweet trigger. It's almost too pretty to shoot. The mag capacity is a big downfall. But it's a classic!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The size of the FNP really turned me off especially coming from that 1911 and glocks just dont feel good either in my hand. I know glock is a great gun company but they just dont feel right to me. I have never shot a glock just held them.

Maybe the grip on that HK45 is what I liked so much. It just feels comfortable in my hand so I hate to hear M14Brian say to stay away because if the gun store wouldnt have stopped taking backorders I would have ordered it today.

What is your reasoning to stay away?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I now run a XDM 45acp for 3 gun, so far zero malfucntions after 3 years

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Here is the situation. My primary weapon for home self defense is going to be my pistol since I live in an apartment. This gun is also my back up to my rifle on hunting /stalking situations for hogs.

I bought a NIB 1911 .45 Regent back in December and I love the 1911 style. But after 4-500 rounds it seems to jam up at least once every 10-20 rounds. I use good mcCormick mags but the ammo has been cheap. Lawman which was horrible and Magtech which definitely had less jams than that crappy Lawman ammo.

basically I am not happy with it so I am going to get rid of it and get another pistol

I just got back from the range and shot the FNP45 HK45 and another 1911.

The HK45 felt the best. No jams on any of the rented guns today but I only put 33 rounds a piece in each gun.

I hate to not own a 1911 but I am thinking hard about that HK45 as my primary weapon.

Yes the 10 vs 15 round capacity on the HK vs FNP could be a big deal to some folks but I can live with it.

The recoil seemed way better than the 1911 and a lil better than the FNP.

The trigger pull was nicer on the FNP.

ANY FNP or HK45 or 1911 guys want to chime in on what your thought process is for finding that perfect fit for your exact needs and how each gun has fit your style?
Cheap 1911's aren't a bargain...have you tried calling the manufacturer and sending it in for repair.

m14brian recommendation of a Springfield TRP is good, I saw a new one for sale Monday in a LGS for $1.613.00.
If your going to spend that on a TRP go ahead and give Crazy John a call he'll have you in a Les Baer for $200 more.

One thing I don't like about the TRP, the 2 piece guide rod, it should be replaced with a GI Recoil Spring Guide and Plug setup.

Seriously return this Regent for repair.

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Polish the feed ramp and feed it good ammo. Some 1911's don't like lead and or hollow point ammo as the weapon was designed for military ball ammo.

Have a smith rework the feed ramp and polish it should feed fine after.

Are you limp wristing the pistol? I hate to assume but u speak of large recoil. That leads me to think maybe ur recoil sensitive. 1911's do no like this and it will cause all kinds of jams, stove pipes, etc.

Had a buddy shoot 1 of mine and it kept jamming! Which I has never done! He is LEO and ex military so I figured he knew what he was doing. Well I watched and he was jerking the trigger and the pistol was jumping around in his hand! That causes the recoil to not be able to cycle properly

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,881 Posts
Hgunner really is right, be good to yourself, get a Les Baer.
We have very strange laws here in CA, many pistols aren't approved or distributors won't ship to CA, dealers won't send out their FFL and special order or I would've got the Baer I wanted. I could never seem to get one. When I saw the TRP, I snagged it, it was in my hand.
m14brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shot a Colt series 70 for so long, it's the only platform I'm comfortable with as a carry weapon. Some years ago, I added a SA 1911 and it's been very reliable but I did initially have some reliability work to feed the CCI lawman ammo that was then loaded with the 200 gn Flying Ashtray. It was flawless over 6000 rounds.

Recently, I bought a Kimber Custom TLE. I like the Meprolite sights and it's been unflinchingly reliable with a little over 1500 rounds through it and very accurate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tried several 1911s until I found one that was absolutely reliable. I had a real Remington WW2, Colt series 70, and a Springfield Armory. None of them where 100% reliable. I eventually bought a Les Baer TRS that has never let me down after thousands of rounds. If you want to stay with a 1911 for your home defense gun I would make sure it is 100% reliable without having to send it back. Having a good warranty does not mean squat in the moment of truth. For me if it is not 100% reliable out of the box I get rid of it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could afford a Les Baer but ~$1100 is my budget. Believe me that is on the wish list!!

It sounds like I need to go shoot an XD.

I dont believe this Regent needs repair just good ammo. Maybe a little fine tuning also to break it in still. Unfortunately the ammo I am buying is the only stuff I can find. The Regent is just not reliable enough for me. I agree with the gentlemen who said " it needs to work 100% right out of the box or send it back" A good gun should work with Good or bad ammo since these days you cant count on finding hardly any.

I will go shoot the XD and HK side by side and compare. The XD is a few hundred bucks cheaper but If an HK is a higher quality gun then the money is worth it. Maybe shooting the XD will change my mind.

I will have to find a ww2 era 1911 for a keepsake and plinker. The history of the gun makes it almost unamerican not to own one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you're looking beyond the 1911, then consider a Sig P220 as well. I have a 1911 and a P220 and, at the risk of a lynch mob forming here, I prefer shooting the Sig.

EDIT: A nice, used West-German marked P220 will cost you around $600-700.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Would you also run the cheapest, lowest octane gas in a 'Vette and then complain about the cars performance?

How does it work with plain old 230grn ball ammo? 4-500 rnds seems to be about broken in, if you've been using full power ammo along with a bit of grease on the rails. That is a $1k pistol, right?

But, that last statement seems to sum it up and you're just looking for excuses.

So, get another pistol, one that feels good in the hand and you enjoy shooting.

You won't get ostracized if a 1911 isn't your cuppa.

I myself love the way Glocks perform, but have never been able to make that grip work for me. Still have no problem sleeping at night, it's just the way it is.

Do what you have to do.

Wet

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Reactions: m14brian
1 - 20 of 20 Posts