M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a second M1A/M14 (Early Federal Ordnance).

I knew it was going to have some problems due to the photos in the auction showing that a prior owner had for some insane reason drilled/milled a small semi-circle out of the top of the rear of the bolt.

But for the price, I saw this as not a problem, given having two spare bolts (Bought a few years ago upon acquisition of a Springfield M1A Scout... There might be a thread about that somewhere about here) and the means to headspace the bolts into the Rifle’s Barrel/Receiver.

But when checking it before putting a few rounds through it I discovered someone had drilled a hole in the top of the receiver, under the sites, and put a freaking set-screw into the hole that doesn’t seem to do a damned thing.

The photos show the “screw” in question.

The gun functions (Basically... There is a problem with the safety refusing to engage that looks to be due to wear on the hole that the pin passes through holding it in the trigger group... And that the gun was dry-as-a-bone when I bought it. No rust or corrosion. But dust, dust, dust, and more dust, with bunches of dried crud where grease or oil should have been).

The front-site is also kind of “useless” given that it seems to be “loose fitting” (again, same kind of wear as on some of the parts in the trigger group where the holes the pins pass-though look to have either worn, or been ‘widened” for some insane reason.

But what I wonder about this little set-screw is:

1) What the hell is it doing there (It isn’t even centered to the barrel-axis)?
2) What would be the best means of “repairing” it?
—2a) Removing the “screw” and otherwise ignoring it?
—2b) Grinding-down the screw in the receiver to sit flush against the receiver (alternately, using a drill that is just slightly larger and drilling down to where the screw is just a “dimple” in the receiver top)?
— 2c) Either of the above and a tiny spot-weld to ensure that it never moves?

And, a follow-up on the bolt:

• Is it possible to weld-up the “divot” in the top of the bolt that the rather mysterious set-screw seemed to have required, and then grind the weld-smooth with the bolt, re-Parkerize, and thus have another spare-bolt (I have heat-sinks for welding to prevent a loss of hardness to the bolt forward of the rear surface involved. Absent that, I can have the entire bolt re-heat-treated by tossing it in with the appropriate lot of other metal components for other work I do)?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
1. Never seen the likes of that. Can't imagine any practical use offhand
2. I'd modify the set screw so that it is flush on both sides and red thread lock it into place-- or remove it and fill it with RTV and call it a day.

No harm in its position that I can imagine. Maybe it will whistle a tune when the bolt goes by.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Didnt we see another just like this a couple of months ago?
Sure seems familiar to me also, believe there was another thread with similar modifications

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Does the set screw fit the bolt dimple? Like it was used to lock the bolt in place? Does the rifle headspace correct? My immediate thought was a shot out rifle made “safe” for hanging...

·
Registered
525 Posts
So the bolt was modified to clear the set screw, but what was the purpose of the set screw? Bubba?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I was wondering if someone was possibly trying to put a screw in to perform some function upon the rear iron sight components. But somehow being too long and protruding down. I've not taken one of those sights apart to really know if that would make any kind of sense. Personally that's not the type of solution I would pursue.

Edit: I see now post 8 mentions this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wonder if it was put in because the receiver was out of spec., to force the bolt down to **** the hammer.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts