M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i had some tables at the local gunshow today. A guy walked past my table with this. According to him it was a garand, converted to 308, that uses m14 mags. He claimed it was converted by the military as a prototype. I havent been able to find anything about it..his claims may be total BS but for the asking price i had to buy it based on cool factor.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
There were a number of garand /M14 conversions made back before Mr. Elmer Balance built the semi auto M1A in 1972. Perhaps this is one of those early conversions. From what I've read some were ok some not so, it depends on who did the work. Could you post a few more photos if possible? Never saw one done quite like this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were a number of garand /M14 conversions made back before Mr. Elmer Balance built the semi auto M1A in 1972. Perhaps this is one of those early conversions. From what I've read some were ok some not so, it depends on who did the work. Could you post a few more photos if possible? Never saw one done quite like this.
Sure, what angles would you like to see? This stumped literally every dealer at the show i showed it to, none of them have ever seen anything like it.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
What did you pay for it?....If I can be so bold as to ask!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats another odd thing about it, theres no markings other then the serial number. It utilizes standard M1A magazines. I paid 550$ for it.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Looks like a BM59 style rifle to me.

Glenn

Edit; Looks like a National Ordinance BM59
Good luck finding magazines.
I think you may be right the early BM -59's looked a lot like this. Some photos of the receiver specifically the heel . Does the receiver look to have been cut and rewelded?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
BM59 civilian semi photos

View attachment 45885

View attachment 45886

View attachment 45887

View attachment 45888 geepee3 was right I looked around apparently this was a model of the bm59 the top composite photo with 4 views shows your rifle, except for the flash suppressor , notice that the serial # is the only marking on the heel. There were more versions of the BM59/61 than you can count. Very few had the odd gas cylinder/operating rod this model has. Yes for $550 I'd been on it like a duck on a junebug Good Deal, be sure to give us a range report.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Whoah, you don't see them like that everyday! Congrats

·
Registered
28 Posts
the side of the receiver will tell you. Its a BM59 family. could be sante fe M59
those mags are BM59 specific & expensive.
top of receiver may be stamped berretta or may only have numbers…. IF only numbers. its a BM59 reweld from a garand.
the BM59 or BM62 have great value.. the Sante fe not much value

·
Registered
28 Posts
we don't know what it is??? check gun broker.com for similar rifles … & compare.

it looks like my M59… but the receiver could be anything most parts may be stamped BM59 but the left side of the receiver should tell u everything…
all were designed off the garand

1 - 20 of 27 Posts