M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield M1A Loaded that has a TRW trigger group, oprod & bolt with a stainless barrel that is unfired. I am checking the gas port for marks but do not see any. I was thinking of completing the rifle out with TRW parts but my question is this. Would a USGI wood stock or fiberglass stock be more original to a TRW built rifle? Which one is original from the factory & which one will get a better price for resale? I'm eyeing a sykes made stock, walnut (which by Different's info would be correct) in great shape with nice marks for around $100 or should I find a USGI fiberglass stock? You opinion is need to help my decision.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I prefer the look of walnut, and the slim feel and durability of fiberglass. I've seen 3 actual TRW rifles in my life and they were all in wood stocks, for what that's worth. I'd own both....

PS...You take them rascals out in the swamp, put em on their knees and tie em to a stump and let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest.....That's the way I see it, I'm a simple man...GI2

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I also have a loaded SS barrel. All I know is that my USGI fiberglass stock is very tight and shoots very accurate. I also have a usgi big red birch that I dearly love but it isn't as tight and doesn't shoot quite as good as the fiberglass. I did do the NM mods on both stocks, so I don't think your going to find a usgi stock right out of the box that will not need some modifications to shoot sub MOA. That's just my two stocks, can't say about stocks in general although I've always heard that usgi fiberglass is a tighter fit.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I know different is the holy Grail when it comes to info on the m14 but I thought Sykes stock were made for SA. I have one and that's what I was told. If that's what different said he may have been wrong. If your thinking of upgrading all the parts to trw it's going to be hard to identify them if they don't come out if the wrap. I would like to know if altering a sai rifle voids a warranty claim. Has anyone done mods and sent the rifle back for repairs?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yes, Sykes was primarily done to supply SA but they found their way to lots of M14's.

Not that TRW or any other manufacturer would not use whatever they needed if supplies ran low, as long as approved and G.I.

The only way to tell for sure is the TRW cartouche.

I was lucky enough once to see their stock duplicator.

If you will PM me with an email address, I have samples of the proper markings and pics.

Be advised that many TRW's were put in fiberglass stocks too, so technically, fiberglass would be correct.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ah, CDB's Simple Man: ...."if you don't want trouble then you better just pass me on by....."

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
"Now the DEA's got a chopper in the air, I wake up screaming like I'm back over there. I learned a thing or two from Charlie don'tcha know, you better stay away from Copperhead Road"

Outstanding quote Taz. Gotta love Steve Earl.

Oh yeah, and for the record, im very happy with my birchwood big-red stock. Helluva shooter too, and shes not even bedded, wonderful feel, kinda fat around the grip, which i like.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen I thank you for your input & information you provided (especially ripsaw). I haven't decided yet but I havew food for thought. But if I buy a wood stock, would it loose value if the stock is "refinished" with good markings?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Refinishing a stock could devalue it. But, just be VERY careful around any of the cartouches while sanding. Especially if they are stamped really deep and clear. Try and keep them well preserved if you can. Just be very picky on what stock you purchase. See them in person if you can, or if you buy online, then have the guy send lots of pics. Also make sure he will accept it back should you not be happy with it. Try and find the cleanest stock you can find, so you wont have to do much work to it. Clean it up a bit and then rub some boiled Linseed oil on it, and you will be good to go.

I hope PFCThomas will chime in, he refinishes a lot of stocks for the M14, he would know better than I would.

For me, I am VERY picky when I look at (and buy) stocks. As PFCThomas will testify too. I'm of the mind frame to preserve history, I like all the dings and "scars" on GI stocks. I don't mind the dark spots from the hand oils from all the men that have shot that stock. It is all character and uniqueness that I like to preserve. Keep it original is what I like to try for. That, and when I add more "character" to a stock, I don't feel so bad as if it were a refinished stock all nice and tidy. I also have a tendency to ruin said stocks by having them routed out for rear lugged receivers too.

Whatever you decide to do, with whatever stock you end up with, you can't go wrong. Just make a well informed decision and stick with it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I say buy a bunch and play dress up with your rifle as your mood cahnges.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Harry There is different methods in doing wood stocks.

1. Nice clean minty stocks
a. Just give good wash with acetone using an t shirt or
rag to wash oil and grim. Put in 2 gal plastic pucket
new you don't want any paint residue being tranfered
to stock. Reoil with boiled linseed oil just be
generous without being sloppy. Put in nice warm spot
let oil soak in 2hrs rub down your hands and wipe off
excess with clean rag. Put ALL RAGS IN WATER
AFTER USE don't need to have a fire, because of
spontaneous combustion.
2. Stocks that need a little more aggressive treatment
a. remove stock liner and butt plate
b. use easy off oven cleaner spray and use scotch
bright pad. Spray on let set 2-3 min spray again
scrub down wash off with garden hose. Let dry day
or 2. If you want a little use an oil stain I like Old
Masters. Add a little to the linseed oil work it in.

3. Aniline dye method
a. clean stock with the easy off method
b. while stock is wet rub down with linseed oil and
fallow with generous aniline dye working into
linseed oil. Ripe off excess in a few minutes.
BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES THE ANILINE
DYE DOES NOT WASH AND WILL BE WITH
YOU UNTIL THE SECOND COMING. This a fast
method with very nice results.
4. Remember you can't screw it up and it can be fix.
Remember these are gun stocks off of battle rifles.
We are not building pianos and these are just pieces
of farm equipment that we happen to like. And some
owe their life to.
5. Any ???? just PM me
6. Fiberglass stocks just scrub up with Comet wash off
and you are done.
Just remember all this information was brought to you
from an X Jungle Cruise Skipper from D-land.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Just remember all this information was brought to you
from an X Jungle Cruise Skipper from D-land.
So YOU killed the hippo! You basterd!

Excellent cleaning and oiling info. I did this on an M1 Garand stock but may repeat the process a few more times to try to get some more grime out of it especially around the grip.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Aniline dye

Aniline dye sources
1.Rockler Woodworking&Hardware I believe its a national
company
2. Tandy Leather Supply or leather working store
leather dye MUST be alcohol base can be used in a
pinch
3. Brownell's Peter Vanderhave Military stock stains or
Pilkington
4. www.hbehlen.com 828 261-0325 they make a powder
stain you mix with wood alcohol
For walnut Stocks
The color i find that works the best for me is "cherry"
its red in color. A trick I was shown was take a piece of
glass 2in sq or lens out flashlight. Put your stain on it
hold over your stock/wood it will give if its the color you
want. The wood needs to be free of any finish allowing
the stain to penetrate. The nice thing about the dye is it
can be thinned with water to lighten. It flashes off or
dries rather quickly 15-30min and can have linseed oil
put on. Also you can mix in your linseed oil to just
freshen up a stock without getting to involved or do this
as a starting point.

Last point is this Jungle Cruise Skipper's favorite ride at D-land was the ride home in his car. Merry Christmas
PS Boy am I long winded to many years on the Cruise.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thanks alot PFC, I appreciate it. I have been using the medium brown Fiebings alcohol based leather dye for some time and find the medium brown brings some real nice red to the G.I. stocks.

The regular brown brings them more darker walnut looking,...either is beautiful but the red is reminiscent of the old 03-A3's wood and some of the Old Garands and I love that look. I can't wait to try your method and products, happy holidays to you and yours,...regards, rip.

Apologies to Dirty harry.....we meant no hijack. You gotta know what color to look for in your TRW scheme.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gentlemen, you did not hijack the post but add that, well, educational conversations between men like us that share a common interest. I enjoy this forum just for post such as these. Being "factual" thru a post is great but the "sitting around the computer(campfire)" sharing a drink and chatting though we are many miles apart makes it all enjoyable.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Gentlemen, you did not hijack the post but add that, well, educational conversations between men like us that share a common interest. I enjoy this forum just for post such as these. Being "factual" thru a post is great but the "sitting around the computer(campfire)" sharing a drink and chatting though we are many miles apart makes it all enjoyable.
I really appreciate that analogy, especially the campfire and the drink part DI5....It would be real nice to do just that, with folks of like mind one day,...... or three.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts