M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started refinishing the SM M1A that I got... the stock was bone dry and very dark!

What would be a good stain to use to bring out the golden grain in a SM Walnut stock? Or should I use a "red"? I did my NM with Red Mahogany and it looks beautiful... should I match the NM rifle or try something different... I know these are personal preferences, but I am curious to hear what others might have to say about it... I guess another choice might be to use NO stain... but I have never done a Walnut without a stain before... Hmmm????

The ultimate choice will be to send it to WhamoCamo and have it painted with a cool design but I thought I would "tinker" with refinishing her first and see...

Thanks in advance for any comments you might have!!!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Tom,
I'm partial to Chesnut Ridge myself.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Oxmix:

Is there anything similar to the stain by Chestnut Ridge? Apparently, I can't get any of the vendors to send some to Hawaii... I guess its new restrictions... Brownells stated that they would not be able to send stains, paints, or any material of that nature through standard shipping methods....

I appreciate your input and help... I just want to make this right the first time...

Thanks and Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Oxmix: I just shot Chestnut Ridge an e-mail asking if they would ship it to Hawaii...

Since 9-11, there have been quite a few things that dealers have not been able to send to Hawaii... I think the stain might be a flammable substance...

Well, the stock is stripped (about as much as I want to go) and just waiting to see what, if anything, I will use as a stain prior to applying the finish...

Thanks again,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Tom,
I've never done this, but what if you were to take 1/3BLO-1/3Turpentine-1/3shoe polish, your choice of color. Melt the shoe polish and add the BLO and Turpentine mix it up and let it cool. Rub the paste onto the stock. Let dry, then buff. It's kind of a variant of Culvers magic paste. If you think this might work, try it on a scrap piece of wood and see how it works.
BLO=boiled lindseed oil.

I've heard of guys using leather dye also.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice and heads up!!! I have never used BLO, Culver's Magic Formula or Tung Oil as of this moment, so all of these are great suggestions.

At least it gives me a place to start on what to do... I appreciate your help...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Tom, Tung Oil is the correct finish for M-14 stocks. BLO was used on stocks prior to the M-14. The only time I use anything different on a M-14 stock is when I want to keep the color of knurled/tiger markings. Then I use True Oil. True Oil has a shelac base so it dries quicker and holds the color better in the long run. I have done stocks with it and after 2 years the stock hasn't farkened that much. Using Tung oil, the stock is much darker after the same period of time. Oh and the sheen from the True Oil can be dulled using 0000 steel wool if desired. The Tiger stock you just got from me was done with True Oil almost 2 yrs ago. :D :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Status Update:

The SM stock was striped as best I could without removing the stock from the receiver... and looked good clean!!!

I tried some stain called Ponderosa (looked golden in the picture) but the heavy dark grain of the Walnut was overwhelming so I switched to a Royal Walnut. This stain started looking good on the butt area but became lighter as it got to the forearm... probably because of my sanding technique... but I noticed a pronounced dark dark red color in the Walnut stain... so I used some of my old stain (I think Red Mahogany or Red Oak) on the forearm and the colors evened out beautifully... but it does resemble my NM but its okay... now the lighter grain has a deep reddish color to it... looks okay... I hope it comes out...

The wood that I got from Hawk and the wood on the SM is definitely different... I tried using a neutral at the beginning and it started to look awfully dark not golden like the one that Hawk sold me... that is why I decided to use the Penderosa... but that just didn't look right...

Well wish me luck! After the stain dries, I will start with the TruOil treatment...

BTW: Chestnut Ridge was nice enough to reply but they confirmed that stain is a flammable material and cannot be sent to Hawaii... maybe sometime in the future, I am sure I will get other opportunities to play with refinishing stocks... this has been really fun!

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts