M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going over my spare parts today and realized I was just making wild guesses at what I might need to keep running if parts were no longer available. I don't have any real-world experience with what parts have the highest failure rate. Basically all I have are bolt parts - extractors, ejectors, springs, and firing pins. Any other suggestions from the guys that have been there?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I would also keep all springs, a roll pin set, trigger and sear, trigger assembly pins, etc, etc. Maybe sight components, and maybe a piston.

I don't think it is necessary to keep the larger components. If it was, then you might as well build them into a rifle....

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention it, I also have a couple roll pin sets, an extra piston or two, and an extra Sadlak spring guide. And a few sight parts from when I converted to match sights. And an old walnut stock. But I don't have anything to do with the trigger groups or any other pins, etc.

I was looking at one of the Unit Level Repair Parts Kits from RA Parts. The kit has one of each part listed, but I'm guessing that some parts might be expected to fail a lot more often than others. I just don't know for sure which parts are the ones I need more of.

I'm not looking to do major repairs. I just want to keep two guns running.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The only parts that ever broke on my M1 are the extractor, and the 'oprod catch assembly' (M1 only).
I think both broke after the 3rd barrel was installed - so the parts had a lot of use.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.