M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
All the springs and pins to replace things a couple times over . An extractor or two and a Bullet guide . Other nice things lean toward any timing part and a spare trigger and hammer .

Jack

·
Registered
947 Posts
All you should need is a spare extractor. This goes for any M1 or M14 rifle as it's the most likely part to break. These interchange between the two rifles although late M14s have a slight modification (no doubt shown in one of Bill Ricca's notes here).

Spare extractor is mandatory for a late Springfield M1A as they're apparently using reproduction parts which are prone to early failure. USGI extractor should last much, much longer.

The only reason for a spare bullet guide is to cure any early or late bolt closing since this depends on that little hump on the front. As the rifle wears the hump gets smaller and the bolt will then require a nudge to close. This can be adjusted with a file to make smaller or a punch to make bigger as needed.

Jerry Kuhnhausen recommends removing the accellerator, the little wobbly part pinned inside the op rod catch, to eliminate the automatic bolt closure feature from the rifle. With this out just pull the op rod to the rear, as with the M14, and the bolt will close. I've never tried this, though, just parroting Jerry's advice. Removing the automatic bolt closure feature eliminates the need for a spare bullet guide.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'd think some of it depends on how much you intend to shoot. I've got a couple of each part, but that's just me. I tend to pick up parts in v. good shape when they show up, "just in case" .

Liftrat22

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gas cylinder wouldn't hurt and an overlooked part...rear spring sight cover. When they loose tension...and many are worn despite their appearance, can and will affect accuracy, especially you're shooting for distance (10+ clicks for example)

·
Registered
545 Posts
heres my spares list for what its worth

One spare head-spaced bolt(complete)
op-rod spring
op-rod catch
bullet guide
clip latch
clip latch spring

The op-rod catch and bullet guide are good spares to have in case you start ejecting half full clips too soon, one of the other guys said it was these parts are big on the timming issue and extras are a must.

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.