M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only want to buy it once, and I want it to be a good one. The Brownelle's wrench was my plan, but it has poor reviews and the handle is on the bottom. I have heard a large adjustable cresent style wrench works good. Is this true, or is it not advised? I have read old threads, but i am looking for updated info.

·
Registered
534 Posts
View attachment 48407

I made my own. I did not like (nor agree with) the Brownells design that places the handle at the bottom. My handle screws on either side, depending upon whether you are installing a barrel, or removing a barrel. In the picture, it is setup for removing a barrel. An M1 is shown, but it works for an M1 or M14 type interchangeably.

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
View attachment 48407

I made my own. I did not like (nor agree with) the Brownells design that places the handle at the bottom. My handle screws on either side, depending upon whether you are installing a barrel, or removing a barrel. In the picture, it is setup for removing a barrel. An M1 is shown, but it works for an M1 or M14 type interchangeably.

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Man that's sure a nice shade of green on that ol garand receiver.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 1-3/4 open end wrench I believe...I'd have to double check. Open end wrench, with the box end cut off and a long cheater tube to make life easier. Works like a charm.

Something like this: (not my set up though)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hytek

I did a run of wrenches a few years back thinking they would sell rather easily. I soon learned there were few guys serious about building because tooling up is rather spendy. A couple guys here brought them and were pleased others looking at photos said they saw areas for improvement. I have used my on several builds and it has worked well. I built them because I didn't care for the Brownell's wrench. If you look up "wrench sets Pfc Thomas" in search you can see a few pic's and read comments.
Pfc out

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 1-3/4 open end wrench I believe...I'd have to double check. Open end wrench, with the box end cut off and a long cheater tube to make life easier. Works like a charm.

Something like this: (not my set up though)
This is why not every one should build rifles. GI3 Where's that hammer bubba?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hitek
If I could get 12 orders I would ask my mechanist friend if he would do a run. I would require a $100 deposit and balance at time of shipping. I have had a few guys ask in the past. Lets see if this stirs the pot enough to do a run.
Pfc out

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hytek started a ball rolling

Hytek

Looks like they is 3 other guys in the boat. Just making this public in case there is anyone setting on the fence. Both Jersey Devil and Hammondje have the wrench in case you want to check with someone who has used one. Also who has done some dealings with me.

Pfc out

PS I have done a few mods to the wrench for fitting SAI,Armscor and LRB M25 receivers. Will be checking with the machine shop making the pricing hasn't changed. Maybe $5-10 more

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.