M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,611 Posts
It's a damn shame.

RNGR4

Reactions: Defiant001

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I also remember reading somewhere that when the North Vietnamese went to extort money from the US government for the remainder of our POW's, Congress didn't want to hear any more about Vietnam, and refused to send any more money. After that, there were some plans made to get the POWs by covert means, but they were shut down by the government.

I've said for a long time that the United States didn't lose that war. The US Armed Forces did everything it was asked to do - and it did it successfully.

Reactions: 23eagle

·
Registered
62 Posts
I find it perplexing to the nth degree that so many people between the ages of 12 to 30 will on the one hand demand and argue for their rights and freedoms and yet hate on the Government at every opportunity and to a degree that anything the is part of the Government is subject to scorn.

You can not hold up one element separate and claim it is unique and not part of the rest or subject to influence by the rest, it's all for one and one for all. Sure we can all find something to disagree with or dislike, we are humans and our participation is part of the system just as well as each and every GS Civilian Employee, Service Member, Member of Congress, Staffer, and even God Forgive me, Lobbyist. We are all each and every one of us part of our political system, the fact that there are so many of us that effect the outcome of elections and the direction or nation takes is testament to why we also feel that we have no impact. It's because we all have a part to play even if it's small.

But for all of this and for all the good and even the bad we do, the USA remains the finest nation on this world. I just find it sad that more are not proud of it.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
It really hasn't changed much about how our Government rages war. Just think about all the loved ones lost in Iraq. And now look at the situation going on there. What a waste our Government led us into for nothing. This makes me wonder about my Son joining up and risk his life for such a Government.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I find it perplexing to the nth degree that so many people between the ages of 12 to 30 will on the one hand demand and argue for their rights and freedoms and yet hate on the Government at every opportunity and to a degree that anything the is part of the Government is subject to scorn.

You can not hold up one element separate and claim it is unique and not part of the rest or subject to influence by the rest, it's all for one and one for all. Sure we can all find something to disagree with or dislike, we are humans and our participation is part of the system just as well as each and every GS Civilian Employee, Service Member, Member of Congress, Staffer, and even God Forgive me, Lobbyist. We are all each and every one of us part of our political system, the fact that there are so many of us that effect the outcome of elections and the direction or nation takes is testament to why we also feel that we have no impact. It's because we all have a part to play even if it's small.

But for all of this and for all the good and even the bad we do, the USA remains the finest nation on this world. I just find it sad that more are not proud of it.
I for one find very little to take pride in this country anymore; especially this administration and this president. We, I feel have become a "depraved" nation which has forgotten it's roots. We as a people, culture and nation have made government our God. On this site alone, how many of us are waiting for TSTHTF? Why is this? We don't trust "our" government.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
We (the US) have not won a war since 1945. We, as a country, are in the "business" of war, with "we the people" as the expendable item.

The one good thing I had hoped for from obummer was to get us out of the middle east. The MIC wouldn't let him. Both parties are paid off.

But I didn't know about the peace accord deal mentioned in the OP. I do remember all the boat people coming to the gulf coast, many getting lots of refugee money to set up shop in TX and LA.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong because I wasn't there but we were not in Vietnam because our freedom was being threatened. I think it was for Vietnam's resources. Again I wasn't there.
We were in Vietnam because LBJ and Robert McNamara told the people that if we didn't stop the spread of Communism in Vietnam, all of the nearby countries in the Orient would fall like dominoes. Now, the real question you might want answered is, "Why did Johnson and McNamara want us there?" For the answer to that, you'll need to go to Haides to ask them, because that is where I believe they are.
Actually, McNamara said in his memoirs 30 years later, "We were wrong, terribly wrong. We owe it to future generations to explain why."
I don't believe many of the 58,300 dead, 153,303 wounded and 1,641 missing could give you a good reason we were there. Maybe you could ask some of the 9,500,000 people who claimed to be Vietnam Veterans according to one of the U.S. Census counts. Of course only 2,709,918 people actually served in Vietnam and fewer than 800,000 of them are still living. I, for one, can't really tell you why we were there. Bitter? Nah, not me.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,611 Posts
Reactions: racer and Glashaus

·
Registered
365 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong because I wasn't there but we were not in Vietnam because our freedom was being threatened. I think it was for Vietnam's resources. Again I wasn't there.
I wasn't there either. If I had been another year older I might have been, so yes, I was paying attention to what was happening in those years.

What resources are you talking about? I've visited Vietnam twice in the last two years. It's a beautiful country, but I have a hard time imagining what resources the US could have coveted enough to go to war for.

Vietnam was a side skirmish in the Cold War. The US and Soviet Union were in competition in every conceivable way- in competition for the hearts and minds of those who had not yet chosen sides.

Why do you think we put a man on the moon in the 1960's? And no country has been there since. Had there been no Cold War, there would still be no footprints on the moon.

One final point- while I think our elected officials grossly mismanaged the Vietnam war, I do not agree with those who think the blood we shed there was wasted. Today many may disagree, but then, there was a widespread belief that if Vietnam went to the Communists, other countries would follow (The Domino Theory). Yes, Vietnam fell to the Communists, but not without them paying a heavy price. The Cold War finally did end in 1989, with the US as the victor. Had we not taken a stand in Vietnam, we might still be locked in a Cold War even today. Or possibly, it could have escalated as a result of accident or miscalculation, and we'd be a lot worse off.

For the people who served there, they have my deepest respect and thanks for their service to our country.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Side skirmish my a?? It was full scale war. Or I was in a video game. It's called bitter, because I still have a terrible taste in my mouth. That's why I walk up and say welcome home brother and extend my hand to my brothers in arms. I came home with my head held high and still walk tall and never look down. We lost 58,000 but I know the NVA, KIA/WIA, wasn't something they ever published

·
Registered
74 Posts
lol nam had resources? They had crap and then more crap on top of that. We were there to help the south achieve freedom from the north. The military did their job and the Govt phucked them every step of the way. Another time where politicians got young men killed
for nothing. Just a very sad time for me, my family and the nation.

cocked locked and ready to rock, its the only way to roll

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.