M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please be so kind as to remind me; I printed it once from a earlier post but lost it. Does it make the rifle more accurate than it was, or does it simply prolong whatever accuracy the rifle has? Also, along the same lines, how/what does a rear lug factor into the mix? Thanks, Taz

·
Registered
980 Posts
A good bedding job actually accomplishes two things. The primary purpose of bedding is to ensure that the rifle's action doesn't move around in the stock, thus ensuring consistancy from shot to shot. Greater consistency = greater accuracy. A good bedding job will also ensure that there is the proper amount of tension between the front band and the front ferule. Proper tension ensures improves barrel harmonics consistency in barrel harmonics. Again, greater consistency = greater accuracy. A lugs on the receiver provide greater surface area for bedding. HTH

·
Banned
611 Posts
proper tension up on the ferrule also helps your shot groupings consistent between slung up tight prone position and off hand unslung position. It makes a huge difference if you have a loose fitting stock and you sling up real tight. Your groups usualy go low but unslung they go high. Bed the stock and this is minimized or eliminated.

·
Registered
611 Posts
On the second part of Taz's question, doesn't the rear lug (for those receivers that have it) also contribute to accuracy as it serves as more bearing surface for distribution of recoil to the stock, therby minimizing breakdown of the bedding compound over time?

Spike

·
Banned
611 Posts
That's sort of a trick question. It can BUT with the newer modern bedding compounds and the newer tecniques that have been develped for bedding the m-14 I don't think it's necessary anymore. Maybe back when all they had was fiberglass yes but not anymore. Do a good bedding job of the style that me and dighawaii do on ours with steelbed and even a non luged receiver is gonna last a very long time.
Now a double lugged receiver is a whole nother story. Those are never intended to come out of the stock. I have even known some to forget the release agent on those and just permently glue it in. Might be ok if you have a ton of money to invest but it's not for me or most of you either I would bet. I like to remove my rifle from the wood every time I take it out and clean it right. I Bedded with steel bed about 4 years ago now and have skimmed it once. I think the wood shrunk up a little when we moved from Pa. to Texas. It wasn't because the bedding was worn. My rifle gets used hard every weekend almost so I can attest to the durability of steelbed. It's good stuff! forget the lugs. :D

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
taz7nads said:
Someone please be so kind as to remind me; I printed it once from a earlier post but lost it. Does it make the rifle more accurate than it was, or does it simply prolong whatever accuracy the rifle has? Also, along the same lines, how/what does a rear lug factor into the mix? Thanks, Taz
Here's a list of things that bedding does for the M1A.

Adds strength to the stock
Prolongs the life of the stock
Tighter fit between receiver and stock
Supports the receiver correctly in the stock (with no pressure gaps).
Adds tension to front ferrule
Enhances accuracy

A rear lugged receiver extends the life of the bedding due to more bearing surface.
Rear lugged receivers also relieves stress on both left and right receiver lug on bedding over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.