M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about the purchase an Eagle Ind chest rig for a universal magazine carrier but really wondering what you guys are using.

Actually, really wanting to see what you are using for SHTF and bugout equipment....... I have all my 5.56 and 7.62x39 gear, but if I really wanted to use my M1A as a primary, I wouldn't be able to carry any mags right now.

Need to get my crap together, I know......

·
Registered
24 Posts
All OD canvas M1956 except as noted: BAR belt (6 pocket), single magazine pouch (3)= 15 magazines/300 rounds), butt pack, canteen covers (2), stainless steel canteens (2), old style stainless steel canteen cup, canteen cup stove, first aid pouch, poncho/liner (both woodland). I am looking for a 5 quart canteen and a Jungle First Aid Kit. As you can see, I do not want to run short of ammo or water. Add 72 hours of field stripped MRE's, spare socks, foot powder and other sundries (para cord/cleaning supplies/matches/etc.) and you can shoot,move and communicate. I hope this helps.GI5GITENGITEN

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am an H or Y Harness guy as well. You'll note that H is in, then it is out in the Army. This is because the H is most versitile, adjusting to your clime and mission.

I'm set up like sgtrock. I have two double M-14 mag pouches on a web belt rather than the canvas BAR belt. I carry 4 and 1 mags up front and two unloaded spares in the ruck. I also have 3 GI 60 rd ammo bandoleers in the ruck, and the other stuff mentioned by the rock.

I prefer H/Y becuase it easier to control heat/cooling of your upper body while humping a ruck. You have to find a system that you can hump a medium or large Alice pack comfortably. All pouches and gear organized leaving the belly and back clear so I can lay in the prone and back as low as possible. A clear back also allows you to wear while driving. I recently read a story of an SF guy in Astan that removed his vest/armor under fire because he could not lay low enough while saving comrades.

It is personal preference. BORROW before you buy. When you buy, BUY USGI SURPLUS as much as possible. The price is right and you don't pay the boutique price for name brand.
Boutiqe stuff is sexy but IT IS NOT any more durable than GI. I've learned that the hard way. Paid $$$ for cool goober gear and it failed out under minimal use.

PM guys on the forum like Whatsinaname and PaulGman, both vets of the perpetual war our country is now waging around the world. Ask them what they think. Both are friendly and honest and I have asked war related questions of both. They were forced to use gear and probably bought their own in some situations, they may have insights about the ideal load bearing set up. It is situation dependent, but you need to find something that is most versitile, durable, and meets your needs.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Ya' can't beat the way a load bearing vest of some type spreads the weight.

I have a CamelBak Delta-5 Tactical Vest. I holds a water bladder and has MOLLE strips everywhere.

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs/Delta-5-Tactical-Vest.aspx

It has a heavy duty front zipper (if you ever had to get out of a load vest when you were hot and tired you will appreciate the zipper) and loops along the bottom for your utility style belt. There are several inside pockets, some with Velcro and others with zippers. It is based on a mesh like material and it is open on the sides so it ventilates very well.

I add pouches and equipment as needed, right now I have two large pouches on the back and side drop pouch along with small common use items attached to the front. This is my hunting setup and it allows me to carry the most common items I need for a day's hunt; food, small stove, water, ammo, emergency shelter, first aid, and room to stuff jackets and such as the need arises.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
A hybrid LRAK rifleman rig from black hawk. I kept the right hand section and replaced everything (back panel, left panel, shoulder straps) with an OD MOLLE section to add my sidearm, IFAK, water bottle and LRRP butt pack. I also have a 4 pocket canvas LBV from god-knows where and a bunch of Chicom chest rigs for my Sks, AK, and milsurp bolt guns.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
+1 for the H harness stuff. Good point already made regarding hardware that looks good but won't hold up. I've found that minimizing the stuff carried on the front of my gear helps in keeping yourself low when you need to go prone.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
As for M14 magazine pouches, I bought some M14 specific ones from Blackhawk years ago. They were a bit pricey at the time but they are good quality and you can get them in a few colors. Nowadays, I'm sure there's several companies that make them for reasonable prices.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
for low drag run and gun courses the SDK version of the Eagle Universal is outstanding for the price. It holds 4 20 rounders SNUG, plus 4 pouches for sidearm mags. Not a bad way to spend $80.

http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Chest_Rig_Universal_SKD_p/eag.567.htm

HOWEVER....if you have the coin and want the best (IMO) check out the Esstac Chest Rig. It holds 6 20 rounders with a split front zipper and mega-molle for...whatever. NICE rig.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Chest_Rig_LBB_Load_Bearing_Boar_p/ess.520.htm

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I got a bunch of stuff from one of the sponsors here at TFL... Signal Surplus. Medium ruck and frame, 2 mesh MOLLE load bearing vests, waterproof bags along with ammo cans and other nonsense I need. Most of it was like new.

Condor makes a double 20-rd mag pouch (side-by-side, open top with elastic) that works pretty well, I have 2 of them on one of my ammo vests. You can still lay pretty flat in the prone, it's just not very comfortable... I'm looking at adjusting the configuration. Only downside to the Condor pouch is they are made in China.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have an Arktis 1624 rig and really like it. I have a load bearing belt that threads through the rig. I hang a couple of additional Vietnam vintage M14 mag pouches from the belt. This rig makes it easy to get in and out of the truck or carry a backpack. It certainly is cooler down here in the Southeast climate. The amount of crap you can stuff in this thing is unbelievable Arktis makes really good professional grade stuff, but you can find some good prices ($59.95) on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1624-Arktis-M173-NL-Rig-Civil-Air-Patrol-SAR-Vest-/320713397219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aac0213e3 They make all sorts of variations and camo patterns. The ebay stuff is the real deal just closeouts and overstocked things. If you're buying retail it ain't cheap though. http://arktisusa.com/

There was a thread awhile back here http://m14forum.com/ammunition/19611-vest-chest-pouch-10.html

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have a ATS molle belt rig with a condor H harness and a 25lt. DPM bergen pack(72hr).
I like having the chest area clear to hug earth.
Here are some pictures of the basic rig.

Still need to figure out how I want to carry the pistol.

Glenn

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Old School Like SGT Rock

All OD canvas M1956 except as noted: BAR belt (6 pocket), single magazine pouch (3)= 15 magazines/300 rounds), butt pack, canteen covers (2), stainless steel canteens (2), old style stainless steel canteen cup, canteen cup stove, first aid pouch, poncho/liner (both woodland). I am looking for a 5 quart canteen and a Jungle First Aid Kit. As you can see, I do not want to run short of ammo or water. Add 72 hours of field stripped MRE's, spare socks, foot powder and other sundries (para cord/cleaning supplies/matches/etc.) and you can shoot,move and communicate. I hope this helps.GI5GITENGITEN
  1. no BAR belt
  2. four AR pouches six mags one for food (120 rds of .308 with another 80 rds in the ALICE is about all I can hump these days)
  3. m1 carbine double mag pouch for mod 65 speed loaders
  4. model 65 S&W in hip holster
  5. Toledo combat knife
  6. (two extra speed loaders on the holster modified auto magazine holder) total 24 .357 rds
  7. canteen cover with Aluminum Polish wide mouth canteen
  8. butt pack with socks, jerky, power bars poncho tied under, USMC IFAK on outside
  9. camelback 1.5 liter in pouch tied to suspenders
  10. Katadyn Pocket tied to camelback
  11. US Army lensatic compas on front suspender
  12. red lens flashlight below compass pouch
  13. 2nd plastic current issue canteen with WW II cup
  14. water iodine tabs in each canteen
  15. dry sack inside the butt pack

Same sundries as SGT Rock. Maybe later we can compare ALICE contents. (main features there are more ammo and a tent) To each his own, hope this gives you some ideas. Got an identical H rig at the last Indy gunshow for $20.00. So, I am starting on son of BOB 2 for the Saiga 12.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I got a Load Bearing Vest and belt, etc from Signal Surplus, one of our site sponsors. Great gear at a great price. 10% discount for members here.

For an emergency grab and go (gun only), I keep a shoulder pouch for a few guns loaded and hanging near the gun safe. Nothing fancy, just a few mags in pouches on a shoulder strap. I got mine from Ace Case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.