M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ain't got one because this was the first weekend in a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time i didn't go shooting. I wanted too real bad but we had a gunshow to work over and I had a long list of honey do's and other stuff. Oh well. The gunshow sucked as usual for here but I got rid of a mauser for a good price and made a heck of a deal on a case of the good korean 06 for my garand. I did just get to have some fun playing with a AK with a live round stuck in the chamber though. He shot it with corrosive ammo a couple years ago and one stuck but didn't go off so he just threw it back in the closet dirty. Guys please don't do that to your gunsmith! 8O I wasn't even told about the round in the chamber. Just made the assumption it was in there. Good thing too. I got it out and the bolt back but that gas piston is froze and it's gonna take some time to fix that. Oh well.
I did get to clean my m-1 and m-14 today though. Everything went well with that and no problems found. They are safely tucked away till next weekend in their safe again. I do that every sunday religously. I guess that's my range report for the weekend. Sorry I am so bored but we need some more action here. I haven't even seen a good argument in a while.
Take care

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Good Lord Dan did you not get any Rain in Lubbock. :?

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it rained cats and dogs the other night and most of the day. You should see my poor mule. A 2000 pound walking mudball. He's loving it! :lol:
Did you guys get slamed pretty good too?

Oh I was just thinking about what you said. Are you implying that we can't shoot in the rain? Heck it never stopped me. The hogs are out in the rain more too. I've had two close freinds killed by lightning and seen another guy not 10 feet from me get split from stem to stern by a bolt and still I am too hard headed to come in out of the rain. I do some of my best work when wet! :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
got to the range today. i spent about 5 hours. shot the remington 1917, a 513-t, and a couple of my friends' guns.

dan it sounds like you like the feeling when all your hairs stand up right before the lightning strikes. and lets not forget about that sound it makes as it comes down. you've been a lot closer than me (only about 50 feet) and it's something i'll never forget.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here's one:

Tested a variety of cast bullets in the Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express today. The 530g Postell mould Wheelweight alloy didn't perform all that well, the alloy is a bit hard. I got a decent group with several fliers that I don't see with softer bullets from the same mould. I then tried some 575g Roll Swaged Creedmoor bullets. Wasn't sure if the eighteen inch twist would stabilize them but it did. I didn't get to the 545g roll swaged Postells today, they will have to wait for next weekend. Scans to follow if anyone is interested. I know it's not an M14 but I can guarantee you that this rifle will solve any buffalo problems you might be having in your backyard. :D

Took my new to me Model 97 30" full to the trap range afterwards and shot a 23 and a 20 with it. Not bad for the first time shooting a gun that was made in 1918. This one fits me better then the first one I bought and those Win AA heavy target 7½ loads really blow up the bird when you hit them well. There is a certain satisfaction to taking an 86 year old shotgun that has about 10% of its original bluing and shooting a 23 in front of a bunch of folks shooting new expensive Beretta's. Those old nickle steel guns age well.

PS: I've been about two hundred yards away from where lightening hit the arrestor wire on a transmission tower. I was at a gas station somewhere between Chattanooga and Knoxville. I had and pulled off the I75 because I didn't want to deal with the heavy rain and the trucks that were going 75mph in the rain. The rental car windshield wipers were not up to the task. I was filling the tank when it hit in front of me. Possibly the loudest bang I've ever heard and you could hear the lightening crackle and buzz above you in the cloud to cloud bursts. Don't think I want to be closer to a ground strike.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That 4570 sounds fun. I have only had that caliber in the short barreled marlins before. They are firebreathers for sure but aren't much past 50 yards without a tang sight. I bet yours will get out there. I read in one of my cast bullet books that the bigger the bullet the softer they like the alloy. Sounds like you are proving it. cool. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sure...this weekend was a comedy of errors, lets see.
First: forgot to degrease the rear sight, first shot was oil
in the eyes and face...gee that was fun.
second: my sight black refused to work, so my front sight
was a beacon of light...can you say blinding.
Third: slipped on the ice and planted my sneaker in a nice
puddle of ice cold water.....refreshing! I think I have frostbite.
Fourth Offhand, I know I was locked up solid but, the
target kept making circles....a perfect 10" group....gezzzz

and then I couldn’t get my shooting partner (Sniper 1) to stop
laughing through all of this misery. Gee, what a fun day at the
range. :oops:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vet66, I can sympathize with you. Went shooting Sunday, the Wilson 1911 ate everything fed to her and asked for more, the Ruger 44 mag made a LOT of noise and showed me that I need a lot of work with her. My brother fired off six Winchester 250 gr. Platinum hunting loads one handed ( something I am never gonna try!!!!). The range was muddy, windy but the real fun began at 100 yards and the M1A.

Foist( think Curly form the stooges voice over hear), the hundred yard range was about underwater. No problem, Danner boots are waterproof. Well, I found between two boots about 3 leaks. Did I mention the weather was 36 degrees and we had rain, freezing rain, hail and snow?Cold wet feets are a welcome thing, makes me think of deer season.................

Second, was trying out some different hunting ammo, why for is it hitting 2 inches lower than my usual load? PANIC, is the mount loose, did the scope take a bad whack, it the barrel FUBAR'd? OR, could it be that I added lower rings and that caused the difference? Gee, gotta start writing myself notes when I do things, saves that anxiety attack feeling.........

Third, haven't shot sine December (with the M1A, I know, severe booing and hissing). Definetely need to get back in the groove.

All in all, an entirely enjoyable day spent at the range with excellent company and great firearms.

Later, Jeff B.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This weekend was bad for me too but I fixed it before I ran out of ammo. I had forgoten that the last time I shot my m-14 I changed the scope to my cast bullet zero and I sent a nosler 168 down range about 400 yards toward the head of a prairie dog and I hit the ground about 100 yards behind him. I thought my scope was messed up or something. 3 more sighters later I took his head off as he was standing on his mound laughing at me. That will teach him! :twisted: I got the rest of his family too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.