M14 Forum banner

What kind of wood are these stocks?

2085 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  2treeline
I picked them both up thinking they were Walnut. Now I'm not so sure after stripping the finish from both. The bottom stock has a much more reddish hue than the top stock. The difference isn't as apparent in the pics as it is in person. The top stock is a Sykes and the bottom is unmarked but I believe it to be a NM stock from it's much thicker dimenesions. Thanks in advance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is some protrusion but It's actually a very slender stock. I kind of wonder if it may be cherry. Wish my pics were better. The top stock is very thick through out. It's especially noticeable through the grip area.

· Registered
3,635 Posts
The top stock appears to be birch; not sure about the bottom one.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
neither one of these is a "big red birch". they both have a standard profile. it is hard to tell from your photos. i suggest wetting the wood to allow the grain to show through. if i had to guess right now, i'd say they are both walnut (the bottom one for sure). but i can tell you that neither one is a thick big red Winchester stock.....i can tell by the bolt release area. have you checked the buttplate area for stamps???? this would help a lot.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are more pics. You can see how much thicker the top stock is. It has a faint circle P that's barely visible that had already been sanded before I owned the stock. Both stocks were absolutely nasty. I think they are both walnut but the bottom stock seems too reddish to me. That's why I have you experts to help. I appreciate the replies.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
ok that helps a lot. the top i believe is an aftermarket walnut stock and the bottom is a birch stock made by Sykes. and yes, the wood does look a little reddish......birch can be on the 'red' side of color a lot of times.

does the top stock have a selector cut-out hole? if so, it might be one of those match walnuts that were made like the 'big red' stocks.

· Registered
497 Posts
I have had some Walnut M1 stocks that came out quite red with just BLO.The only Birch I have had seem to be much lighter and wouldn't accept oil based stains for nuthin'.Top looks Birch to Me(upon closer inspection)...but looks can be deceiving.I had some European Walnut that looked very similar to Your bottom Stock color wise and Grain pattern,that is why I was thinking Walnut at first.
Ryan

· Registered
289 Posts
If you just wet the stocks down, and that isn't stain, and they are that color, then they are both walnut. Unstained birch will be yellowish in color when oiled.

These are two different birch stocks I got from Fred's, cleaned up, and oiled with tung oil. No stain.

· Registered
97 Posts
The bottom stock is walnut for sure. The top stock is most likely walnut.

The "Big Red Birch" name was coined by Jack Dailey ("Fred") to describe birch stocks made to the later wood stock spec, which was heavier and thicker than the original wood issue stock. I believe that "Big Red" was the name of a local bull. I've never encountered birch that had any color other than yellow and brown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.