M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of accuracy are you getting from 16 and 18 inch barrels?

Meaning what kinds of distances could one expect to be able to shoot out to with reasonable accuracy?

Since I am still trying to decide between a Scout or SOCOM from Springfield I thought I would see how well they would do out past 100 yrds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Easily hitting an 8" Shoot-N-See at 208 yards (measured by laser rangefinder) w/ open sights, Aussie stripper-clipped ball ammo and 45-year-old eyes. 8)

(prone without sling but using sandbag fore end rest)

Scout M1A was purchased new about 2 months ago; muzzle brake and 0.062" front blade, by the way. No other mods (yet !!).

My biggest challenge was being able to see the target !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We shot my SOCOM 16 with Aimpoint from 100-200 yards with no problem. The shooters were L.E. Snipers and a F.A.G. (former action guy) Force Recon Marine. We shot at our range, from the bench, with bag both front and rear. The ammo was our duty .308 ammo (110 gr. TAP). We have a few (30+) Govt. M14's / M1A's as patrol rifles. The results (on average) were as follows:

100 yards - 1-1.5" group
150 yards - 2-2.5" group
200 yards - 3.5-4" group

Shot bowling pins at 150 and 200 yards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.