M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty much ready to dive on head first into bedding. I would like to ask you gentlemen/ladies opinion of what material to use for bedding an M1a? Does it matter if it's lugged or not as far as what material is preferred?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I use Marine Tex.
I've only bedded about 5 or 6 M1-A's and 2 M1's.
I'm no expert but it works for me.
None had lugs so I can't hep with that.

The titanium bedding compound is interesting but I have read it's a bit harder to work with than the Marine Tex (more runny if I remember right).

You will be amazed how much it does for the accuracy of the rifle.

pg
USA2

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://m14forum.com/m14/128315-bedding-rear-lug-gun-coat-hanger-way-pic-heavy.html

This thread is what really cleared it up for me. This gentleman uses Devcon. I like this because I think I can by it locally. Also I have some iron filings that I am considering adding to the epoxy. This material is about the consistency of very coarse sand. I think it was purchased to me use with a magnetic structure testing device. I found it at work and have a 5 gallon bucket of it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I used a 'putty type' epoxy named PC-7, and it worked OK.

Using an epoxy that is too gooey and runs can be a real mess.
A stiff putty type epoxy is less trouble, and it's easy to to remove the 'squeeze-out' with a flat toothpick or popsicle stick.

Also make sure to have a long working time - stay away from quick-set epoxy.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bisonite Al, I have been using it for the last 35+ years. I have tried others but always come back to the Bisonite. I buy it in quarts.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Everyone has a favorite and all should work well if applied right.

PC-7 is excellent epoxy but I am not sure of the shrink factor and its near impossible to mix it and have a complete fill without voids or trapped air bubbles.

JB Weld is excellent but expensive. It flows out VERY well and you need to dam up and area or it will find a way to leak out. It gives you 100% solid fill. I use it for filling in the selector cut outs.

Devcon steel putty is my current favorite. Its available from several sources and reasonable priced. It stays where you put it and fills out with little to no voids.

Marine Tex is also great stuff. I had trouble getting it a couple times, tried Devcon and never really went looking for it again.

Acraglass liquid or gel is "OK" but its my last choice of a bedding compound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts