M14 Forum banner

What is your favorite lever action?

16781 71
What is your favorite lever action rifle? I like to see what the general consensis is regarding the model and caliber. I am looking to pick up my first and don't know much about them. Love to hear about everyone here's experiences, good and bad, about them.

If you have to do it all over again and buy only one, which one would it be? :)
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I realy like my 1894P,real quick on target,and lots of fun!! To bad Marlin stopped making them. Light and quick,and 44Mag to boot.What more could you ask for? I also like my Marlin 444S (1977),but in the tight brush,I take the 1894P.

· Registered
998 Posts
Marlins

Even though Winchesters have that Wild West appeal, my favorite lever gun is a pre-1976 Marlin. A rifle with a forged receiver, pre-cross bolt safety, and .308 Winchester, topped with a Zeiss scope. Hits the same ragged hole every time.

· Registered
3,909 Posts
My favorites are the 1895 Marlin in 4570 Govt. and the 336 Marlin in .35 Rem., and 30-30 Win. I also like the 1895 Winchester in 30-06 or aka as .30 Govt.

· Registered
36 Posts
of all my leverguns (1886 Light rifle in 45-70, 1892 in 45 Colt, 1873 in 45 colt) there is only one that I absolutely love...my 1895 Winchester takedown in 405 Winchester.

Something reassuring about having a rifle capable of stopping dead in its tracks any game short of genetically recreated dinosaurs on in the western hemisphere.

Bully I say!

GI2

· Registered
8 Posts
My current favorite lever action is a rifle my wife inherited from her grandfather. A Marlin 1893, yes 93, in 32 hps ( 32 win exp). It’s a beautiful rifle with a smooth as silk action, a real case hardened receiver and a nice walnut stock. And, it points and shoots good too.

· Registered
860 Posts
My Marlin 39A golden trigger with the long bbl. too heavy and it looks like a deer rifle.
Was My first gun purchase when I was 10 or so. I mowed grass for it for two summers. gave dad the money and he picked it up at the gun shop for me. That 22 went on lots of adventures.
Learned how to shoot a rifle with it. still got it and it still is too heavy for a 22!. It has a few shorts orLR hps in the tube and it sits in the first slot in the safe. the occasional snake,opossum, armdillo etc... and such that gets in the flower beds-- it comes out and goes to work. It is my favorite lever gun. my only other is a recent purchase of a 450 marlin GG. got the xs sights on it and it is sweet. scored a 5 pt buck last season with it. running in thick woods at about 65 yds. soon as it crossed a fire break I drilled him in the shoulder. deer did a end over flip and down for the count. hope to score a hog this season.
.... now that I think about it. gonna thaw out some deer sausage for breakfast in the morning.
GS

· Registered
11 Posts
I only have 2 lever actions one is a winchester model 94 in the rare caliber os .30-30inMCORPS1. And my prize lever action my winchester 1873 in .44wcf that was manufactured in 1889. However since the bore is a little rough I haven't shot it all that much. Maybe 10 rounds.
mike

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.