M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

What do you back up your primary rifle with? Obviously we all have a choice of sidearm, but what about a second long gun? Most here use either an M1A of some sort or AR platform rifle. Hypothetical.....your primary rifle quits for some reason and you can't address the issue. You are bugged in at home and have others to use. What do you grab and why? This should be interesting.....Mine is an M1A Scout, or Colt 6920 as primary, followed by my little beater AO M1 Carbine which runs like an AK
with RNSP. Either one would serve me well. I have plenty of support ammo and magazines.......

·
Forum Jester
6,962 Posts
ar platform or mp5

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
While I love my M1a/14/21/25’s. They aren’t on the list for protection.

My primary and backup would be the AR platform for rifle weight, maneuvering, and ammo weight I can carry.

Unless there is a need to reach out farther an AR is capable of. I can’t imagine that scenario. But a lawyer would have a field day for those extreme situations. It have to be a mass of BLM’ers toting AR’s coming over the ridge And burning my corn field before I grab the M25.

·
Forum Jester
6,962 Posts
just don't forget where you layed it down.

·
Administrator
17,258 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm with XXIV Corps , in this corner standing 31 and 1/2"s high , weighing 200 lbs. being fired from a M110 Self Propelled Howitzer with a charge of #5 white bag and able to reach 10 and 1/2 to 15 and 1/2 mile is the ultimate bullet. The M106 , and if a timed fuse is used, capable of an airburst with a blast radius of 100 meters ! Now that is a backup for sure. I LOVE Artillery !! Redleg forever !

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I really don't know if I can answer truthfully, even if we pretend that boating accident didn't happen.

In my fantasy scenario, it is whatever best suits my M14 type, maybe these two, one backing up the other, for... whatever..

This guy would have a holosun 65MOA circle red dot on it instead of a scope (but maybe a scope hanging out in my back pocket of my short-shorts...)

And this gal would ride along too.

I suppose the 'backup' versus 'frontup' position would be determined with which was better suited for the task.

But, speaking realistically, this is kind of engineering the scenario to fit what I like handling and shooting. In many scenarios, particularly ones where I have to move around without a vehicle, and for distance, carrying both of them as well as a pile of ammunition becomes perhaps more of a task than I'd want. I mean, maybe in my backup rifle scenario, I can have some a giant striped green tiger that has a saddle for my luggage?

Probably more mobile would be a couple of SKS carbines in choate stocks, the 'primary' one tacticooled out with a collapsing stock, Holosun 65 MOA red dot as well as backup folding sights, and the 'backup' SKS an as vanilla as possible SKS in a folding stock that fits easily in a backpack. A couple of 'more standard' capacity detachable magazines can be detached, but except for emergency run get topped off regularly without leaving the rifle with stripper clips stored in my ebay-sourced genuine maybe bandoleer with real eastern block clips, because those NC Star ones are just awful. I'm no 'Army Man', but most any of my maneuvers would involve running away from a threat and perhaps making enough noise and exploding stuff to deter pursuit.

An AR-15 is probably one of the most practical choices, but I haven't finished assembly yet, so that makes it not very useful for me...

Outside of TWD scenarios, realistically, my primary long gun would be a remington 870, and the backup gun would be a remington 870, in the hands of my wife. It'd give her something to do, it is what she is most comfortable with shooting quickly and under pressure, you can get a lot of projectiles into the air quickly with buckshot, and if somebody's not nice to me, she's meaner than the last P'd off rattlesnake she sent to off somewhere without his head. Plus, then we can share ammo, and that's romantic.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
1. For logistical purposes, I recommend that your primary and backup weapon have the same manual of arms. This goes for rifles, shotguns or sidearms.

2. It is still important to be able to pick up any battlefield weapon and know how to operate it. The most likely platforms are AR, AK and M1.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fellas,
Some really great replies, and I thank you for participating. It's interesting in the many similarities we all have for the occasion at hand, whatever that may be. Although I adore my SA M1A Scout, my 6920 is lightweight, quick with an Eotech 512 and irons and a Streamlight TLR 1 HL to identify my low light target. I cannot stress the importance of target low light identification, obviously. I have many rifles, as we all do but after running my little AO M1 carbine with PPU RNSP at 100% reliability, it would serve strongly out to 100 yards all day long. I installed an Olongapo stock pouch to include two additional 15 round magazine, for a total of 45 rounds, with sling and a total weight of 7.4 lbs.....that is VERY doable......I also keep a few SKS as "hand outs"....good stuff fellas. (y)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts