M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
AFAIK, this is Federal's 7.62mm pseudo-M80 ammo.

There's been a lot of speculation about this over at M4C regarding Federal's 5.56mm "XM193" pseudo-M193.

In the best case scenario, this is simply production overrun, and it's as good as M80.

More common seems to be that it's ammo that was rejected for not meeting mil-spec for whatever reason.

Some XM193 is obviously not "mil-spec," because the primers and/or case mouths aren't sealed, but otherwise it's presumably A-OK to shoot.

Other batches may have been rejected for failing some kind of inspection that might or might not impact it's shootability.

Worst case scenario is ammo that's way out of spec... Kaboom. I don't have any personal experience with this, but there are a bunch of stories of XM193 kabooms over at M4C.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
This is american made ammo? how could they put this stuff out onto the market if it has the potential for failier?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This is american made ammo? how could they put this stuff out onto the market if it has the potential for failier?
Yes, it's Federal/American Eagle.

All ammunition has the potential for failure.

Keep in mind, the kabooms that I've heard about were usually of the "my gun blew up while was shooting XM193, so I blame the ammo" type.

As for the "mil-spec," there are a lot of ammunitions sold as "M193" or "M855" that really aren't.

FWIW, I've ordered a couple bulk orders (1,000) of XM193. I've shot at least 500rnds of it, and (knock wood) I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I guess what I was wondering was if it was any different from XM80 or M80? What is the "C" or for that matter the "X" stand for?

My concern was just that it was tracer or steel core or explosive or something. But judging by the replies I am assuming that it is just regular old .308 ammo made by Federal as mil-surplus stuff. Nothing special or odd. Now it might not be very good stuff but it is regular old 7.62x51 ammo; no surprises.

I just did not want to buy a bunch of it and find out that I just bought a ton of tracers or armor piercing explosive ammo or some weird thing.

I got a bunch of it and it looks fine. Dirty and not polished like commercial grade stuff. But other than that it seems to be pretty uniform and in serviceable condition.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
M80 would be the generic term for 150grn +/- ball (FMJ) 7.62mm NATO ammo, were it something else (AP, tracer, etc) it would have a different numeric designation.

But you are correct in checking it out first! GI2 Ammo costs too much to find out you bought the wrong thing!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well.....it's more money than good milsurp for one thing. Other than that I wouldn't be afraid of it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For what its worth, I have shot about 500 rounds of this that was purchased from Palamento State Armory.
I did not have any problems and it was acurate enough for my purposes. Plus I end up with LC brass.

HD

·
Registered
604 Posts
The "X" means it's reject. I'm not sure what the "C" means, I think Bimmer is right and it's the packaging, but I don't know for sure. But "X" designates that it isn't official USGI M80.

"PD" stands for pull down, it's been taken apart and then put back together to suit the suits.

I've shot a boat pile of bulk XM80, and it's good stuff. You just have to check it, as a certain percentage (less than 1%) will have defects, creased cases, crimped necks, etc.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
This is not meant to be taken anyway but as information. I have an XM231 and in this case it was made for testing or experimenting. Not many were produced and had it gone into actual use as built the "x" would have been removed. The XM231 was made for trying it out in the Bradley fighting vehicle. It was made short and fire out the port holes but be removable. It is an M16 modified and fires from an open bolt.

-

·
Registered
409 Posts
I called ATK today(Lake City Ammo Plant) and asked about XM80 ammo. I was told by customer service in the sales and marketing department that it is the same as M80 except it never made it on the shipment to the US Armed Serv for what ever reason or it was simpy a production overun. The X just notes it was sold to the public and not the millitary. Just in case anyone was wondering what that means. At least this is what nice guy at ATK said.

http://www.atk.com/capabilities_defense/cs_as_fm_lcaap.asp

Reactions: m0nkee221

·
Registered
839 Posts
so what should I buy?

Fed XM80C

Win Q3130

PMC, PP, S&B???

I want to buy one type and be consistent and available I hate mixed ammo stashes LOL

·
Administrator
18,139 Posts
so what should I buy?

Fed XM80C

Win Q3130

PMC, PP, S&B???

I want to buy one type and be consistent and available I hate mixed ammo stashes LOL
I know that my NM likes the Federal XM80C better when it comes of punching holes in paper at 100-560 yards that the other two you listed above Mindfield.DI5

Keep away from the black arts of the S & B older surplus ammunition.RNGR3

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
so what should I buy?

Fed XM80C

Win Q3130

PMC, PP, S&B???

If you plan to reload buy the XM80C or the Q3130 to plink with.

Reactions: m14nm

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just wanted to add the following regarding the letter designations, I found this on another site who had directly asked the parent company (ATK) who makes Lake City/Federal/American Eagle ammo.

ATK: We've had several questions regarding the XM designation and following is our official statement regarding what the product is.

XM is contract overrun material. It may not meet all of the mil-spec requirements, however, it does meet all requirements of commercial ammunition for pressure, form, fit and function.

As far as the "PD" suffix, it simply denotes bulk packaging.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts