M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker of mine showed me this rifle today that had belonged to his father. It looks to me like a sporterized K98 mauser. The are some faint stamps on the receiver. Where you can see the remains of a German eagle. Can anyone tell me more about this rifle with the few stamps that are visible on it? The rifle was converted to 7mm magnum, and has a nice dark blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like a ‘98 Mauser to me as well...unfortunately don’t know much about ‘em, but I absolutely agree that the blueing is sure beautiful!!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
It is a German WWII 98k receiver used as the basis for a custom build. You can see some of the waffenampt inspection stamps on the side of the receiver but the manufacturer and date marking are covered by the scope base. To my old eyes, it appears to be 148 so you might look for that waffenampt number to see where it was used.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a ‘98 Mauser to me as well...unfortunately don’t know much about ‘em, but I absolutely agree that the blueing is sure beautiful!!
It is a German WWII 98k receiver used as the basis for a custom build. You can see some of the waffenampt inspection stamps on the side of the receiver but the manufacturer and date marking are covered by the scope base. To my old eyes, it appears to be 148 so you might look for that waffenampt number to see where it was used.
Thank you I will do some research.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Hard to tell in the photos, but if the barrel looks purplish and doesn't take bluing well, it has a high Chromium content. Sort of the forerunner of Stainless Steel that was used in Europe during the 50's and 60's.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Under the scope mount on the front receiver ring, there may still be the maker code which be a letter code or a letter and number code. Otherwise its pretty hard to know much more about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
K98k Receiver

I can't read the waffen number but the way it is marked I would guess from what I can see. That it is from the Mauser factory and the number is 135. They numbered the receivers early but later just numbered the barrels. But so did other manufactures the key is to be able to read the waffen numbers. Some were two digit but most were three. I don't remember any that were 148. FN was 140 but they didn't manufacture receivers.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Hard to tell in the photos, but if the barrel looks purplish and doesn't take bluing well, it has a high Chromium content. Sort of the forerunner of Stainless Steel that was used in Europe during the 50's and 60's.

Ideal, the makers of the vintage hand reloading 310 tools, called the purplish color, "plum" as in the fruit color.

I had a couple of the Ideal 310 tools that were plum in color.

I was told the color came from inaccurate mixing of solutions and and inaccurate temperature control during the bluing process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts