M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a Fulton Armory unitized gas cylinder on my M1A. It's a Springfield Loaded model, and according to the SN it was made in 2009. It has a Springfield barrel and mostly Springfield parts. A while back, I ordered a NM flash suppressor with a bayonet lug, ordered it from Brownell's I think. I put it on and haven't thought about it since. Today, I took it off to put the gas cylinder on, and I saw something in the flash suppressor keyways. I though it was crud or maybe some 4895 powder that made it's way in there so I went to push it out with an allen wrench. I saw that there were spots where the finish was rubbed off under them which make me think they're steel. They look like little pins. If they weren't in each of the keyways, I would think they just got in there, but this makes me think they were put there because they are perpendicular to the keyways and they all fit good. are they some kind of shims to keep the flash suppressor on straight or are they junk that worked its way in there?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Was it loose and moving when installed?

·
Registered
257 Posts
My good friend Jerry in OH emailed me a picture of his wondering the same thing. His is a recent "Loaded" model.
No clue why they would do this unless they cut the splines too deep and needed to tighten it back up? Just a guess of course...
Mike B

Reactions: dozier

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Does the FS fit properly? If so, ignore the extra metal. If not, a small file should correct the problem.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My good friend Jerry in OH emailed me a picture of his wondering the same thing. His is a recent "Loaded" model.
No clue why they would do this unless they cut the splines too deep and needed to tighten it back up? Just a guess of course...
Mike B
Are they actually little pins, or are those indentations from a punch? Hard to tell from the pics. Either way, I think the above would explain why they are there. dozier

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flash suppressor is tight. They look like little pins. I was pushing them back to where they came from, back to where the finish is worn from before I moved them and one came out. I tried to push it back with my finger and it stuck in my finger. It was sharp on the end and smaller diameter than the others. I think they are cuttings from when the keyways were milled and they weren't cleaned off. I could be wrong, but I just left the others where they were and put the flash suppressor back on and I'll leave it there until I find out for sure if they're cuttings or some kind of shims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts