M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Other than the obvious, can anyone tell me what this is? I wonder what the motive was...

Link deleted as links to auctions are not permitted. HH

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Was posted the other day. is a shortened/welded M1 receiver made into an M14.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
7.62 X 54 R! i would like to talk to whoever buys it 5,000 rounds down the road. i think it would be a gamble but if it holds together then it would be great.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Ah. Obviously a mistake... just like the rifle. :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Why is it some forum members can post links to Gunbroker without reprisal while others get jacked?

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting rifle for us to all check out - thanks to the OP for posting the link.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Why is it some forum members can post links to Gunbroker without reprisal while others get jacked?

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting rifle for us to all check out - thanks to the OP for posting the link.
It depends on whether or not the mod likes you or not, it's nothing personal.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still dumbfounds as why anyone would want to do that to an M1. It's easier to just buy an M1A. Apparently someone took it as a challenge.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
M1A's weren't always available

The rifle shown was the only way For a civilian to possess an "M14" before the M1A came out in 1972 . Like Dire 88 mentioned they're a sectioned/welded M1 garand receiver converted into an M14. Even Elmer Balance the founder of Springfield Armory Inc. made a good number of these before the M1A. A number of gunsmiths did this "back in the day" as No commercial semi auto receivers were available back then. I forgot to mention quality of these conversions varied , some were excellent , some so so. Depends on how good a welder/fitter gunsmith they were.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There's hundreds of thousands of M1s still out there, a lot more than the entire number of M1A type rifles ever produced. And you guys are looking at this all wrong; it's not a cobbled up m14 clone, it's a better M1.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Whether or not it's a better M-1 is subjective at best. A good wringing out of the firing range would be far more valuable than just a picture and a short blurb on the internet.

This pieced together, kluged up Frankenstien, chambered in a rimmed Russian round, that neither the Garand nor the M-14 was ever designed for is one huge leap of faith.

Bottom line, what a waste of one perfectly good TRW GI bolt.

7th

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Whether or not it's a better M-1 is subjective at best. A good wringing out of the firing range would be far more valuable than just a picture and a short blurb on the internet.

This pieced together, kluged up Frankenstien, chambered in a rimmed Russian round, that neither the Garand nor the M-14 was ever designed for is one huge leap of faith.

Bottom line, what a waste of one perfectly good TRW GI bolt.

7th
I would tend to think a waste of an IHC receiver more than a bolt....

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I really think the 7.62x54 is a misprint along with the listed 24 inch barrel.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I shot one of these back in the good ole days (85-89). I think it came from a smith in Texas or Arkansas. I used a mix of 4-5 ammo types and it never had a hiccup. I remember quite a few flyers though and it won't no tack driver. The guy who owned it also let me shoot a belt fed AR that was awesome. I think it came from Fla. I think he wanted 2K for the M1/M14 monster and 4K for the AR.. both were too expensive for me.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It has some odd weld build up and machining just behind the windage knob and for the cut of the op rod release. It appears to have been shortened at the heel and midway at the mag well. Modified BM 59 bolt stop ? It might just be a pre-M1A ?
Kind of cool though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts