M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'm sure that Bill Ricca can answer this question for ya sir and he will be along sometime soon ...

Don't think I have ever heard of one with simply "one number" on it like that ...

Six

·
Registered
846 Posts
how old is your supermatch? is it the original barrel? are you the original owner? we could guestimate that is is probably either a wilson, douglas or kreiger. and if a current rifle it's probably a douglas or kreiger.

might be easiest to find someone witha similar age rifle and ask them if they know what it came with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an M1 I had rebarreled, about ten years ago by John little of Columbia S.C.. It also has only a "5" in the area usually stamped by the manufacturer. I am sure we have the same make of barrel. I will try to call him and ask him. When he did the work for me ten years ago, he told me it was a competion grade barrel, but I do not remember what it was. I do know that it is an after market competition grade replacement of USGI.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Icarus, I'd bet a cold six pack you have a Super Match M1A built by Glenn Nelson or one of his staff. Glenn Nelson and his shop built Super Match M1A rifles for Springfield Armory, Inc. from the mid-1970s until at least 1987. The "5" on the barrel should mean the receiver is 0.005" longer than USGI specification. So, the barrel chamber is sized accordingly. Glenn Nelson (and his employees) used both Douglas and Hart heavy weight barrel blanks but did all of the external cuts and the chamber reaming himself. If you have the original barrel and it's not shot out, it will be a tack driver.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Who makes the medium weight natl match barrels? Mine doesnt have a maker's stamp either. The super match and M21 barrels should be distinguishable if you cross reference the part number of the rifle with springfield's website, I believe it is a different model number for each barrel (mine is a MA9222, but the website only says I have a medium weight air gauged match barrel...)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Springfield/Devine NM info.

Speeking of Glenn Nelson, I beleave I have a NM Springfield/Devine #0015xx built by him and would to contact for information. Can anyone tell me if Glenn is still around and how to get a hold of him. Thanks Smoky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.