M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hoffer-Thompson

Hi TB,
I'm new to the forum and am glad to be here among experienced 1903/1903A3 fans. I hope to contribute something here; in fact,
I just read about the Hoffer-Thompson 1903 a few weeks ago in a book by Joe Poyer "The M1903 Springfield Rifle and Its Variations."

Here is the lowdown from the book:
The H-T had a .22 cal bore, but externally, the barrel had standard 1903 dimensions. It used a .22 caliber rimfire cartridge holder that was a little wider than a standard .30-06 cartridge case (The chamber was modified to prevent insertion of a .30-06 cal. cartridge). This allowed the use of most of the standard 1903 parts (bolt, stock...etc) to produce a training rifle at a low cost.

-SS

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Now that is a really cool looking rifle. :D :D :D

Didn't even know these .22 LR Training Rifles were around until a little while ago. The more I learn about these rifles, the more I'd like to start collecting them.

The price is out of my price range, but if one of them showed up at an estate sale or something, I sure wouldn't mind it if one adopted me and followed me home. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads up Chris and Rick. \:D/

I just love learning about this stuff.

Dennis

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hoffer-Thompson

Hi TB,
I'm new to the forum and am glad to be here among experienced 1903/1903A3 fans. I hope to contribute something here; in fact,
I just read about the Hoffer-Thompson 1903 a few weeks ago in a book by Joe Poyer "The M1903 Springfield Rifle and Its Variations."

Here is the lowdown from the book:
The H-T had a .22 cal bore, but externally, the barrel had standard 1903 dimensions. It used a .22 caliber rimfire cartridge holder that was a little wider than a standard .30-06 cartridge case (The chamber was modified to prevent insertion of a .30-06 cal. cartridge). This allowed the use of most of the standard 1903 parts (bolt, stock...etc) to produce a training rifle at a low cost.

-SS
My boss actually has one of those rifles, among other rare 2nd ww and Korean war era. He used to have a gun shop in Illinois back in the 60’s it was I believe, maybe early 70’s. But through the years he gathered up some of the most unique items I’ve ever seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.