M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have my 22" standard taken apart, gas cylinder and trigger group sent off for unitizing and upgrade to cellpilot and the nagging question is, once the parts are back, what is the next step of making the rifle more accurate?
Gas Piston, bedding??
I am not really in the market to change it from the walnut stock, so that is not an option.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Ok, so I have my 22" standard taken apart, gas cylinder and trigger group sent off for unitizing and upgrade to cellpilot and the nagging question is, once the parts are back, what is the next step of making the rifle more accurate?
Gas Piston, bedding??
I am not really in the market to change it from the walnut stock, so that is not an option.
Reinstall all parts, and shoot it. Too many people make the mistake of trying to change to much w/o a range trip. If accuracy with good ammo is acceptable, you do not need to add anymore. You do not say what is the primary purpose of the rifle? dozier

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Is your rifle currently not accurate?

Buy some good match ammo and find out. Before you go tossing your $$$ around.GI2

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am able to get 1.25" to 1.5" groups, bench at 100 yards with Portuguese surplus. Just want to make it the best rifle I can get.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dozier, use is everything but a paper puncher/safe queen.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I am able to get 1.25" to 1.5" groups, bench at 100 yards with Portuguese surplus. Just want to make it the best rifle I can get.
I would say your doing pretty good !!! GI6 I agree also with everyone,,put it back together and see what she does,,use the Port Ammo First,,,that will be your baseline for the test,,and then move to some other choices and see what ya can get out of the rifle. I wouldn't worry about bedding at this point,,,it will make the rifle better,,,but then its a pain to take the action out etc !! I would get a NM Spring Guide if you don't already have one,,doesn't add much in accuracy I don't think,,but it sure makes the rifle a smooooother operating rifle. I would also leave the gas piston alone for now,,,maybe grab a couple extra GI pistons when ya can and once you have everything put back and tested fully and have some solid info on how it has improved then change a piston out and see if it changes anything. Do the same with each different piston and see which one helps,,hurts,,or stays the same and then decide on which one works the best for you !! Keep us posted for sure & have fun !!! FRG1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Stop

Stop immediately....if you are getting these groups with that ammo.....call and have your stuff sent back to you as it was and put it back together...you are done.

Invest in learning to reload is the only thing that will make it better than that...unless you can afford Gold Medal Federal Ammo.

·
Registered
412 Posts
kmcintosh78

If you look at the accuracy improvements from a price point, some of the cheapest one are unitizing, and changing the spring guide out to a match one. Changing gas pistons can help, put it has been pointed out before that it can hurt as well, you need to have a decent number to swap through to find the best. Making sure you have a reamed flash suppressor, it never hurts. Getting a good trigger job done. Trying different mags has even been found to produce different levels of accuracy.

If your stock is a loose fit then you wont probably realize the accuracy improvements untill that is fixed, you could shim the stock to see if that helps. But if you have a pretty good lock up, then you should see how the above can improve accuracy.

Plus, buy accurate ammo. you will never get the best accuracy out of mil-surp.

But the number one accuracy improver, GOOD PRACTICE!!

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Remember, the military standard was it had to hold 2 MOA and your rifle is doing well better than that with SURPLUS ammo.

If the trigger is heavy or creepy, the next thing I would suggest is a trigger job.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree with those who said to put it back together and try some different ammo types before dumping a ton of money into mods. The groups you are getting with milsurp are pretty good with iron sights. Try some different types of ammo with 168 and 175 grain MHPBT bullets. I get very good groups (0.5" to 1" with a scoped SAI M1A M21 on the bench) with American Eagle 168 grain OTM and its cheap. I also get very good groups from Black Hills and Federal Gold Medal match stuff ($$$) with the above mentioned bullets. I usually get 1 to 3" groups with 147 grain milsurp (DAG and Portugese) and Winchester white box.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, not irons but scoped.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What to do next.

Like everyone else said put it together, but make certain to clean and lube first, make certain to get the lip of the front band and the ferrule. This makes everything line up back to the same point. Get some go ammo such as Federal Gold Metal Match or Black Hills to really get a base line on accuracy.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I honestly just don't find any reason not to use a Sadlak guide and Tubb's chrome silicon springs anymore myself. There always going to be a next step to the mods we're talking here with my next M14.

DI5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts