M14 Forum banner

What Is The Biggest Handgun You Have Ever Shot?

10K views 118 replies 81 participants last post by  RJH1 
#1 ·
For me, that would be a Remington XP-1000 that had been barreled and chambered for .308.

#4 ·
LAR GRIZZLY in .45 WIN MAG. Had the whole setup at one time, like a 1911 on steroids. .357MAG, .45ACP, 10mm, .45WIN MAG, barrels, mags, etc., pretty neat kit.

#61 ·
That Casull was the largest I had shot until 1992, when I shot a Thompson Contender that was chambered to use some freakishly huge round that is usually used in older 19th Century Elephant Guns. It was something on the order of a .700 Nitro Express (that would be around an 18mm Round, fired from a Cartidge that was sort of like an un-necked .50 BMG that was cut-down to about 3.5” from the BMG’s 3.9”).

It left a mark (I had a bruise on my Palm and the web between thumb/index-finger for a month).

It also caused my to be thrown around backwards in keeping hold of the gun due to the recoil (I swear it also picked me up off the ground, as I only weighed about 115lbs at the time, at 6’ tall — I looked like an Anime character given how thin I was).

I decided afterwards to stick to the typical Magnums in Handguns.

#16 ·
I have a 30-30 barrel for the TC but haven't gotten around to shooting it yet. Once upon a time I wanted a .375 JDJ real bad.
I tried to get one of those companies that at one time sold 50 BMG single shot uppers to sell me a short barrel with muzzle brake fixed to it. Company owner called me back with a strong "Hell No" and put me on a do not do business with EVER.

#21 ·
It was one shot at 100 yards from a bench rest. A follow-up shot would have been in minutes. I hit the target. It was not much worse than the 5" S&W 460 magnum I owned.

Reactions: lrsco
#27 · (Edited)
My experience was similar . . .but still a little bit different:

The targets were steel plate, reduced size cutouts of chickens and rams at 200 yards across a pond. This was to simulate a silhouette competition set up. The gun was set up to compete in an unlimited class with a long barrel (12"-14"?) and long eye relief scope. The position was reclining on the ground at an angle to the line of fire, with the legs bent at the knee and the fore end/ barrel draped over my upper thigh just below the hip.

I was instructed to take a firm grip (one handed) and not try to hold it down, but let the gun recoil up from the elbow. The aim point was not center of mass to increase the likelihood that the target would actually fall down. We wore earmuffs over plugs. In those days, muzzle devices were not in style. The recoil was manageable and not flinch-inducing. Using that position and technique, the heavy gun came up around 45 degrees. However, the blast was impressive. Muffs-over-plugs was a good idea. The fireball seemed to be the size of a weather balloon only 2 1/2 feet from my face. I felt the concussion in my chest with every shot. It wwas something like being near a howitzer in action.

iIt was great fun. We did it all afternoon till the ammo was used up.

#30 ·
Desert Eagle in .50AE. I was new to firearms at the time and it was intimidating to say the least. I have no idea where the round landed on the target. 😳😅

#42 ·
here is a good place to jump in, had xp100 in 308, piece of cake, the guy with the 16" 45-70 good contender if handloaded for a ruger #1 hot load, i thing that the 14" 444marlin that a friend built & i fired with a fact. load is the heaveist so far, i guess that dave hadn't read about not using full power loads in them but then we were proof testin....was shootin a gong at bout 30 yds, i was bout 115# soakin wet, gong was on a frames on each end of bar with 5" gong on welded rod & pivot point, i hit gong sent hole setup bout 4 ft farther down range & gun came down out of recoil pointing more than 90* to the left....the old plow handle was more than my grip could contain....& that once was enough for me, & it broke the weld on gong so we had to go re weld it before more testin....

#43 ·
I have several big Alaska sized hand guns but don't shoot them anymore.
I would practice and carry the S&W PC 500 if hunting something.
But mostly, I shoot the 44 Mag and carry as a hunting sidearm.
Old habit. Heck, it's my 1911 Combat, M14, S&W M41, Sig M1A A1 that get
the most attention during my range time. I do air pistol at home for trigger practice.
Getting dimmer every year. Had cataracts replaced and it's a bit better.

They are nice shooters!. I put on a Leupold on mine. Deer at 50 yards if you can get close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.