M14 Forum banner

What Is The Biggest Handgun You Have Ever Shot?

7495 Views 117 Replies 80 Participants Last post by  M11293
For me, that would be a Remington XP-1000 that had been barreled and chambered for .308.
Reactions: Old18C and lrsco
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
An older friend of mine, now passed, insisted that I try out his Ruger Redhawk with grips that he made out of Texas Mesquite root. The grips were nicely made and finished with beautiful figure in the wood, but they didn't fit my hand well. I should have been leary when he handed me a plastic ammo box of his reloads that were labeled, 45 colt RUGER REDHAWK ONLY. I was only able to fire 12 rounds of Joe's loads from the bench before my right hand said that is enough, NO MORE! With every shot the revolver slammed into the base joint of my right thumb which I had previously broken in a car crash. When I took Joe back his Redhawk and ammo, he saw that there was only 12 rounds missing and I told him that was all I could stand and he admitted that the rounds were a LITTLE warm, chronographing just a little below 454 Casull level.

· Registered
6 Posts
Going to have to go with my Casull.
I do love the contenders!

When I was in high school, my buddy brought out his dad contender for us to shoot. It’s been 20+ years and I am still addicted to them today. I bought my first contender about 3 years ago. Since then I have addedd and added. I am up to 4 frames and 6 additional barrels. My favorites are these 3.

The custom stock (I have the matching hand grips but it hurt to shoot) from David Van Horn on the gun on the left is my TC chambered in .223, The center was a weird one I found at the gun smith. It has some “special” grips, or so he said. It has a sterling silver plate from TC. He claimed in the 80s it was some limited build they did for one year. I have never found any information. And the one on the right, well that is my 454 casull. Its a hand cannon, super fun to shoot and heavy as could be!

Has anyone heard of this "special" run. Near as I can tell the just a hard to find bullet the 25-35. I did finally buy some of GB, just haven't fired it yet.

· Registered
181 Posts
Short barrel Contender in .44 mag was punishing. Had the old snap on forearm. Would fly off every other shot.
Ruger Super Blackhawk was tame by comparison. Wish I had kept that one..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 M1As a national match and a national match special build that is a lugless super match
367 Posts
i have shot from 22 to 45-70 in hand guns so the biggest was a thompson encore 14" in 45-70

81 - 100 of 118 Posts