M14 Forum banner

What Is The Biggest Handgun You Have Ever Shot?

7498 Views 117 Replies 80 Participants Last post by  M11293
For me, that would be a Remington XP-1000 that had been barreled and chambered for .308.
Reactions: Old18C and lrsco
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
I have shot a friend's Remington XP-100 .308. I have owned a Desert Eagle 50AE and S&W 460 magnum.

I currently own a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull
View attachment 468596

And five .44 magnums.
View attachment 468597
That Casull was the largest I had shot until 1992, when I shot a Thompson Contender that was chambered to use some freakishly huge round that is usually used in older 19th Century Elephant Guns. It was something on the order of a .700 Nitro Express (that would be around an 18mm Round, fired from a Cartidge that was sort of like an un-necked .50 BMG that was cut-down to about 3.5” from the BMG’s 3.9”).

It left a mark (I had a bruise on my Palm and the web between thumb/index-finger for a month).

It also caused my to be thrown around backwards in keeping hold of the gun due to the recoil (I swear it also picked me up off the ground, as I only weighed about 115lbs at the time, at 6’ tall — I looked like an Anime character given how thin I was).

I decided afterwards to stick to the typical Magnums in Handguns.

· Registered
94 Posts
Thompson Contender chambered in .700 Nitro Express.

Shooting it was not a fun experience. It bruised my hand, and caused my wrist and elbow to hurt, that lasted for about a month.

The gun had a custom-made Barrel (obviously) that was a bit longer than the typical Center Contender’s 6” to 10” Barrels in the early-1970s. I think it was something like 16” or 18”. Very cumbersome to fire, but the owner had made it as a Howdah Pistol for Elephant/Big Game Hunting.

I decided after that experience that I didn’t need to try out some of the 2-Bore to 8-Bore Howdah Pistols of the 19th Century. The owner of the T/C Contender owned several of these, and said that their recoil was a bit lighter due to the Black Powder Rounds that they used (They looked a lot like the 40mm Grenades used in the M79 and later Launchers, but were a light bit longer and narrower). The 2-Bore round was around 37mm in size, so looked very much like the 40mm M381 Rifle Grenade used in the M79… Save for being a bit longer, and the body being filled with Black Powder, rather than only the small High-Pressure Chamber at the bottom of the Rifle Grenade Cartridge.

· Registered
93 Posts
Had a 12" Contender barrel that had been rechambered to 444 Marlin. 7 shots and it found a new home; I couldn't close my hand into a fist for a couple of days due to the swelling.

· Registered
60 Posts
I've had a brf 45-70, encore pistol barrels in 270, 480 ruger, 500s&w 375 jdj. I have shot a 300 wm in a lone eagle too. Worst recoiling was probably the 15" medium contour unported encore barrel in 270 win, though the BFR in 45-70 with 500 grain lead hardcast loaded up to lever loads was close, forgot I owned a 50 AE desert eagle for a while too.

· Registered
3,172 Posts
I've had a brf 45-70, encore pistol barrels in 270, 480 ruger, 500s&w 375 jdj. I have shot a 300 wm in a lone eagle too. Worst recoiling was probably the 15" medium contour unported encore barrel in 270 win, though the BFR in 45-70 with 500 grain lead hardcast loaded up to lever loads was close, forgot I owned a 50 AE desert eagle for a while too.
A Desert Eagle is a hard thing to forget.......my first hand gun was a Gen I 44 Magnum

· Registered
164 Posts
My friend bought a Desert Eagle 50AE, but was too afraid to be the first to fire it, so he offered me the opportunity. I wanted to hit as close to the bullseye as possible, so I took a fairly relaxed double hand hold. Muzzle jumped pretty good (or so I am told), but that's about it. Cool toy, but expensive to shoot.

· Registered
3,172 Posts
My friend bought a Desert Eagle 50AE, but was too afraid to be the first to fire it, so he offered me the opportunity. I wanted to hit as close to the bullseye as possible, so I took a fairly relaxed double hand hold. Muzzle jumped pretty good (or so I am told), but that's about it. Cool toy, but expensive to shoot.
Desert Eagles are gas operated, their bark is much much worse than their bite. They are a very intimidating looking firearm but I have had children shoot my 44 Magnum version (as long as their hands are large enough and strong to hold it)

61 - 80 of 118 Posts