M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clock is coming closer on my LRB M25 build. If you guys had your choice and money was no object what finish would you chose for your ultimate M14 type rifle? I have been saving parts and money for years to be able to get this and I want nothing but the best.

This rifle will be the rifle that I take to the grave so I need something that will last and look good as well. I was thinking about having the whole rifle finished with Ion Bond. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Do you have an idea what kind of stock you will use? personally I like a deep black finish especially against wood. What I have are just a mix of how the parts came to me. I would like to have a folder with a short barrel, metal black. I have a camo synthetic that I would like the metal parked on. if money were no object I would like to have one with as much chromed as I could get. Most people wouldn't like it. If i can buy SS I do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd be curious to see what people have to say - in the bolt action world, people have been having very good experiences with Ion Bonding the bolt/receiver. Supposed to be an amazingly tough finish...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Ion bond is a supper tough finish that I personally like above all others, deep black. If you go this route I would suggest that you have the receiver fitted by the gun smith first, then stripped down and sent out to be coated as the finish would make it very difficult for the smith to make any alterations later as the finish is so hard.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Park. GI2

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
K what is Ion bond? havent heard of that

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Never mind found an ad for it. I like the Ion bond, but when and if its evertime for a new barrel or just a part it wont match unless its coated to. where as if parked it should match

·
Registered
283 Posts
From what I understand, ion bonding is a process designed as a surfce treatment (not a finish) that provides a coating that is from 3 to 6 microns thick (a little bit under 0.0004 ten thousands of an inch)

The process has a hardness of 60 to 70 Rockwell C and up depending on the medium used.

When these bondings were first used on firearms, they were primarily for the exterior of a rifle or pistol. Melonite is one of those mediums. Some mediums like titanium nitride have been talked about being used on fire control parts and the inside of the barrel, decreasing drag, translating into added velocity and arguably barrel wear resistance.

The bonding is applied through a proess known as PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) and just be aware there are many different ways of performing that process, with claims that one is better than the other (one uses lasers and other wiz bang bells and whistles).

From what I read in the past, I don't think the race is won yet on which PVD process or which coating is the "best" for a firearm. Just understand, once it is done, the cost of undoing it is not going to be cheap, if it can be done at all.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its a M14, it needs to sport the Park. Anything less would be just wrong.:ARM34::ARM34:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gunkote

Gun Kote in Park...looks like park, but protects better!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had an HK USP pistol years ago. The slide had a super hard and slick surface that really did look like dark park. I don't know what they used but where I work we melonite some connecting rods for very large engines (pistons the size of 2-gallon buckets). The melonite process also gives a satin sort of dark gray to black finish, the purpose of which is to increase surface toughness to minimize crack formation and propagation from the extreme cyclic stresses on the rods. It looked very much like the HK slide.

We also ion-bond some piston pins, about the size of a quart mason jar. With ion-bond we eliminated the wrist pin bushing in the small end of the rod. The joint is now steel on steel, pressure lubricated, with ion-bond pin coating. I think that speaks very well for the abrasion resistance and strength of ion bond. Also very cool that it is so thin that I think one might be able to treat the rifle bore without too much constriction, unlike chrome plating. Can anyone confirm that ion bond is safely applied to rifle bores already rifled to finish size?

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK, should have done even just a LITTLE research. Ion bond can only be applied to the outside of the barrel. Seems like a great way to protect the part of the barrel that doesn't matter. However, if you like stainless but hate the look maybe it makes sense. Should also be a viable alternative to recoat stainless gas cylinders.

Melonite is a bath process so it coats every surface, inside and out. Would like to read more testimonials on longevity in the bore before I spend money on it, though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
There was a post "across the street" a few days ago regarding these kind of coatings. Someone sent off some bolt gun receivers for one of these Hi tech coatings, i dont remember which one it was but i do remember it was some kind of Melonite or Ion bonding type. Well to make a long story short when he got his receivers back from the vendor they had cracks in themGI8 Most if not all of these types of coatings require heat to apply. Depending on how much heat is used you run the risk of altering the heat treatment of the parts. I dont know if the vendor screwed up or what, but IMO i would suggest doing alot of research before sending off a receiver for one of these coatings.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts