M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripped my m1a down today, the mag has a square hole in the front, my rifle doesnt have a notch for the mag to hook on the front. Is that suppose to be like that? Or am I missing a part?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Popcorn1popcorn1popcorn1 GI3

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ok good to know, that's what I'm missing, gotta call that guy see if he has it..
Your rifle is missing the op rod guide?
He removed all of them for storage.
Not sure why anyone would sell a Firearm without completely assembling it first ?
BUT......
I do store my (Vault stored) Semi Auto Pistols stripped
Why ?
In my mind, it keeps the Recoil Spring free from taking a set
But NO, I don't do the same thing with my Semi Auto Rifles
Way ?
More involved in re-assembling a Rifle then with a Pistol

I always hesitate to post something that is critical, but this is an excellent example of someone owning a firearm and having such little understanding of it that they probably should not own it. All of us have a responsibility to understand what we are doing before we start doing it, no matter what it is.
Plus....Not cool to poke fun at a guy when he's asking a question and trying to learn more about his weapons
Who taught you ?

I was always taught....
"The only dumb question, is the one left unasked !"
So good on you TxBoy for wanting to learn more about your M14

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I always hesitate to post something that is critical, but this is an excellent example of someone owning a firearm and having such little understanding of it that they probably should not own it. All of us have a responsibility to understand what we are doing before we start doing it, no matter what it is.
Come on GardenValley Give the man a break he is new.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not sure why anyone would sell a Firearm without completely assembling it first ?
BUT......
I do store my (Vault stored) Semi Auto Pistols stripped
Why ?
In my mind, it keeps the Recoil Spring free from taking a set
But NO, I don't do the same thing with my Semi Auto Rifles
Way ?
More involved in re-assembling a Rifle then with a Pistol

If you mean by, ".... taking a set... ", you don't want your pistol's recoil spring to loose it's temper from being compressed.... You don't have to worry about that.
A spring is tempered to be sprung & it will not loose that temper being stored compressed for long periods of time.

A spring will only loose temper from...
High heat...
EXTREME COLD...
Being stretched beyond it's relaxed shape...
& Metal fatigue.

Metal fatigue in a spring ONLY occurs through movement; the actual movement of compression & extension. Think of a paperclip. Once bent into shape, it will forever remain in that shape. But if you bend it out of shape, metal fatigue will occur. If you keep bending it over & over, it will finally break.

If a spring is held compressed, it will forever retain it's shape & springiness with no fatigue until it is allowed to relax again. Without that movement, there is no friction between the atoms in the metal & so, no metal fatigue. ONTOS

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
It's not about the pistol.

So...what would be a good "First Pistol" in your eyes ? ! ?
See what I did there? I made an A N A L O G Y. It was an A N A L O G Y between the complexity of a semiauto pistol that shoots 357s and the semiautomatic M1A.

Just to close the loop for you cuz it's too late to draw a picture: Just like Coonan doesn't recommend their pistols as a first pistol, I wouldn't recommend an M1A as someone's first rifle.

The spring guide question is one which I would of thought better put to the previous owner BEFORE taking possession. Maybe he got it through the mail.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
There really is a bottom line when it comes to things like this.

While we all have gaps in our preparation I'm pretty sure the OP crossed that line. I'd make an exception for women as they are what I would call in fathomable no matter how much one applies oneself.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.