M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine that I have known for 26 years said he's hard up for cash and decided he wants to sell his SA M1A. He wanted a commitment from me over the phone and I told him that I rather see the rifle before telling him I would purchase it.

Over the phone he did say that the metal is 100% perfect, but the stock may need a little work. He was asking $800 for it. I figured that I would take a chance since we have been good friends for a long time and he would not screw me.

Anyway, I made a verbal commitment to him over the phone that I would take it. He wanted a commitment from me because he was using the money for a different purchase and had to get back to the seller on whatever he wanted to purchase.

I made the 45 minute drive to his home with $800 in hand. I took a look at the rifle and noticed surface rust (no pitting) on some of the metal parts. I figured it would clean up and if I needed to re-park them I could. I have set up my garage for refinishing my own guns. I also found that he had sprayed the stock with Krylon.

Anyway, I was excited to get the rifle home and tear it down. Further inspection revealed these things after I cleaned it:

1. Pitting on the bolt face
2. Pitting on the gas piston
3. Holes in the front portion of the stock
4. Rusted ferrule
5. Gobs of epoxy near the ferrule
6. Rear sight that was frozen up solid. (I managed to fix it. The spring and ball bearing was missing. I got a 3/32" ball bearing from ACE Hardware and had a spring from a Hi-Power pistol spring kit that fit perfectly.)
7. leather shims to hold the handguard in place.

After tearing down the rifle I made a call to him saying how disappointed with him I was. He said he was sorry and admitted to not ever cleaning the rifle. He did offer to return my money. I told him I would get back to him and was headed out to the range in the morning to see how it shoots.

I headed to the range yesterday and put 30 rounds of German DAG through it. The rifle cycled perfectly. I also fired two 5 shot groups with the rifle at 100 yards. My first group measured 2.4" and my second group measured 1.9". This is about all I can do with my other SA M1A rifle that I own.

I checked around the net and purchased a walnut stock from Fred's. I also purchased gas shims and a new handguard from Fulton Armory. At this point I will have just under $1,000 into the rifle.

I called my friend up and decided to keep the rifle. I hope I have not done something I will later regret.

By the way, it appears that the rifle was manufactured by SA in 7/99.

I just wanted to share my story.

Thanks, Paul

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well what would the fall season be without a new project. You can give her all the TLC she needs and turn her back into rust free fire breathing monster.

Congrats on the puchase.GI2

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
You still got a good deal!GI6

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Good deal, congrats on your new weapon.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
A good cleaning is all you need a green scotch bright pad will clean the tail of the piston up no problem, and the bolt face looks very slight from the pic's, the extra holes in the stock look like some type of bi-pod was mounted at some time.

The extra goo looks like it was used too help secure the rivets or stiffen the fore arm for the bi-pod.

$800. bones and some extra time cleaning the little nooks and crannies, I think you faired out very well, a few tweaks and it should be shooting good as new or better.

What's the USGI parts break down?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its amazing how some people "take care" of their stuff. The rifle looks great and like the rest said, "you'll make her love you." You will have to send us pictures of the makeover!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like a deal to me! 800 and a few hours of clean up, you sir are ahead of the game. Congrats!

·
Registered
845 Posts
You got a good deal. the extra holes in stock were probably for a qd stud for a bipod. the only thing I see was an issue was the rear sight.good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's the USGI parts break down?[/QUOTE said:
I wanted to say thanks to you guys for all of the positive support. I was convinced that I would be laughed out of the forum for my purchase.

I have not taken a hard look at what is GI and what is not.

So far:
1. Obviously the receiver (SA)
2. Bolt is SA
3. Barrel is Winchester
4. Assumed the flash hider is SA since no lug, unless SA milled off the lug.
5. Sights are SA.
6. Op rod is SA
The rest I'm not sure about at this time.

How are the Winchester barrels for quality?

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fred has been known to throw in a new handguard when you buy a stock, so you may wind up with two in about two months or so..............I have met 'Fred', not his real name, it is really is dog's name. He has many oars in the water running the Appleseed project, so be patient. He is a national treasure, but his business does suffer from inattention at times.

JohnGI7

1 - 18 of 18 Posts