M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been inactive for a minute, trying to focus on life and family. Anyway a few years ago when this was my go to site Bula was planning on making big waves with receiver, bolts, trigger groups, and complete rifles for sale. What happened to them? I don’t see a lot mentioned here and receivers are no where to be found.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I haven't written them off yet.

Though if I was buying one, I'd pay extra to have a builder put it together, one with a dealer relationship that I trusted to reject parts not quite right from the beginning.

Then again, if I was looking to leverage the expertise of the builder, I might just ask them what they want to use given the kind of rifle I wanted out of the deal. If that's Bula, cool, LRB, cool, Fulton, SAI donor, cool, etc...

If I had money and space for another XM-21 (a relatively lightweight LPVO only is an attractive idea)... well, so far as I know there are no other options for something like that, and I currently have neither money or space so... :p

·
Registered
639 Posts
FWIW I've written them off for now. I would love an XM-21, but doesn't seem worth the risk given the quality control issues.

Besides, after recent LRB receiver grab, I might have to pay for a divorce if I got one. Another risk I won't take.
Oh thats right, you did get one of those LRB receivers. Ya, you may want to lay low for a while haha

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
So the quality has gone down? Anything like the level of sei insanity back in the mid 2000s?
Unlike bula, SEI never had a quality issue, the concern with them was personalities and the fact that Jack ( who no longer works there) was stealing and switching out customer parts.

With bula, they just can’t seem to put out a quality product, bad parts and complete rifles that don’t pass a function test before they go out the door.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN🇺🇸

·
Registered
601 Posts
Brother 7 for 1, this is a good question. I would like one of their M-21 receivers myself. Their website shows that It comes in an "LEO" configuration with a collapsible stock, which is not for me.

Jarhead

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Unlike bula, SEI never had a quality issue, the concern with them was personalities and the fact that Jack ( who no longer works there) was stealing and switching out customer parts.

With bula, they just can’t seem to put out a quality product, bad parts and complete rifles that don’t pass a function test before they go out the door.

REN🇺🇸
Careful, the propaganda machine only likes a little honesty. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

REN🇺🇸
Personality issues not relegated to any particular time period :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would probably risk it if you want. I will say I've decided to keep my Bula, but my new loaded springfield has been nearly problem free so far and seemingly better assembled. The Bula just shoots such good groups, it's almost possible to look past the poi issues.
I’m also keeping my BULA. Purchased it at Camp Perry a few years ago. Had a couple issues: two piece op rod that was in two pieces, bolt roller issue and a sight with soft teeth. All were fixed by BULA at no cost. Had it down at the CMP range at Talladega. Other shooters were amazed how well it shot at 600 yards with iron sights. Shot it at the National Matches at Camp Perry last year, the gun did well, I didn’t😢. I trained with a M14 at Fort Benning and always liked that rifle.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I got 3 receivers and several parts from Bula. All work fine. Only issue was I had to fit a stock liner to the legs on one receiver to get it to seat properly in the stock. Legs slightly out of spec, but workable. Bula's parts seem fine to use mostly. A Bula build by Tony will be trouble free and accurate. A build done by Bula may be ok, or it may require going back to be fixed. I hope they get the issues solved soon as I think there is a lot of potential with Bula to make some nice M14 parts and rifles. They have been innovative too, which the M14 could benefit from, choices/options are always good to have. Right now, I would go with LRB for a receiver, Ted Brown, Tony, LRB, Terry, Jon Wolfe all do good builds and they all check parts for being in spec and fitting correctly. No drama with their builds!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts