M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume these were sand cast, correct? The ones I see are usually nice and straight, this one looks to be warped. Although the ID appears to be straight, I'm wondering if the outer profile is twisted and warped but the machined taper is perfectly straight? I don't have a No 7 spiral taper reamer to check it but . This came off of a 1980 NM rifle with an honest 250 rounds thru it. Do you think this is aftermarket, or is it original SA piece? Is there a way to tell? Thank you in advance.
Rectangle Wood Tool Gas Door
Wood Auto part Metal Titanium Nickel

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Three of the five flutes are not straight, they bow outwards by about.010 or.015, but I think the taper is straight. I like original vintage stuff especially on rifles but I definitely want this one to be a shooter. It’s a bedded NM. I might replace it with a tapered muzzle brake. You mentioned the early ones were cast, aren’t they all? How do they make the later ones? Thanks again

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for this info. I agree. Although this rifle is a Pre-ban and I like the look of the hider better, I am planning on using a SA muzzle brake. Is it confirmed that a reamed SA muzzle brake on a national match or Supermatch (or any rifle for that matter) will deliver the same performance as a SA reamed flash hider? In other words, the muzzle brake doesn't hurt accuracy, correct? Thx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts