M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Equipment

Scope and Stand: BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. A dollar not spent is not a dollar saved.
Features to look for in a scope: 45 degree eyepiece, minimum of 20-25 power magnification, and an objective lens diameter of 2” (50 mm) or more. High resolution, not magnification, is the first order of business. Anything less, and you will eventually spend the money for something better. A KOWA brand scope is preferred by many for the best image quality for under $700.
For the scope stand, a camera tripod is a very poor substitute. The best available is the Ewing ($150). Look for a wide footprint, or some weight at the bottom, so your scope does not tip over.
When in your prep time, set up the scope and stand FIRST! Build the rest of your firing position around your natural point of aim and the position of the scope. Especially in prone slow fire, set up your position so all you’re doing to look in the scope is turn your head.

Hearing and Eye Protection: Due to the hazards associated with this sport, hearing and eye protection is highly recommended, if not required by range rules.
Eyewear: Should be selected for impact resistance, and for placing the optic center of the lens as close to the line of vision through the sights. Color only if you desire it, sunglasses to relax your eyes between stages.
Ear protection: Plugs are a low cost way of saving your hearing. They also don’t bang into your stock. Muffs are better at blocking out lower frequency noise (i.e., gunfire) One alternative is to wear both, though a danger is not being able to hear range commands. Electronic earmuffs are a way around this, but are expensive.

Hat: The shooting hat helps block out the sun on bright days. Fold down blinders also help focus your concentration, by blocking out distractions. A baseball cap is a poor alternative, as it sits too low on the head.

Shooting Jacket: Look for a jacket that fits, especially across the back of the shoulders, and has padding in the elbows and in the shoulder where the butt of the rifle sits. A GI Surplus jacket works okay, but a dedicated jacket works better.

Glove or Mitt: Look for something padded across the back of the hand, to take the pressure of the sling away from there. An oven mitt works beautifully. So does a skiing glove.

Shooting Mat: Provides some cushioning and protection from the ground. Look for something that reaches a few inches beyond your elbows and knees when shooting from the prone position, and that does not slip under your elbows (i.e. vinyl is a bad idea). An old piece of carpet, or a blanket works fine.

Something to Sit On: A folding chair or stool helps keep the weight off your feet when you are not shooting or moving between yard lines. The butt of the rifle may be rested on the stool in offhand, so long as the rifle action is open.

Something to Carry It All In: Use your imagination, it’s been all tried before. Stay away from trash cans with wheels - they work beautifully, but people have the urge to toss their trash in to them!

Final Notes: When shooting at ranges other than the club, remember that you will have to carry, push, pull, or drag all this equipment, so it helps to travel light. You also spend less time rooting through your gear looking for things.

The Road Trip

While High Power matches at our range occur on a regular basis, the serious High Power shooter will travel to other ranges to compete. Travelling is fun, exposes the shooter to different conditions, allows one to meet new and fascinating people and be exposed to different ideas and equipment. For these reasons, it is good to go to other matches.
The “local” shooting circuit encompasses the triangle from San Diego to LA to Yuma, and occasionally stretches out to Coalinga and Phoenix. In this circuit, it is possible to shoot a in a match every weekend. It matters not if it is a monthly match at Camp Pendelton, Seeley, or Yuma or a 1000 yard match in Phoenix, Twenty-Nine Palms, or Yuma, there are some basic considerations when going on a trip. For trips under 400 miles, driving is preferred, due to the large amount of equipment required to shoot a rifle match; it also allows you to explore the town after the match, if you’re so inclined.

Key considerations:

1. Always read the match program! No sense in driving several hours, only to discover you don’t have enough ammo to finish the match!

2. Arrive on time: Most matches allow you to register up to when the firing starts, but don’t push it - you might run out of luck and not be allowed to shoot. Remember that Arizona does not follow Daylight Savings Time, and that you may have to leave an hour earlier to arrive on time there.

3. Get plenty of rest before shooting: Get plenty of sleep the night before the match. For matches in Phoenix or Coalinga, consider checking in to a hotel the night before. If possible, carpool to save expenses and cut down on driver fatigue. Only as a last resort should you attempt to drive over 4 hours by yourself to shoot a match (leaving at 12:30 A.M. to arrive in Phoenix at 7:00 A.M. local time is a really rotten idea).

4. For matches lasting more than one day, get a hotel room or some place to stay. It’s cheaper and easier than driving home every night. Make your hotel reservations early, and select one relatively close to the range. If you own a camper, many ranges allow you to camp overnight.

5. Travel prepared: You’re going to what could be unfamiliar territory, and won’t have the luxury of being able to turn to the benches for some vital piece of equipment. Bring the support equipment, spare parts and ammunition, and special tools with you so you won’t be caught short.

6. On the firing line, travel light: You will have to move between yard lines with your gear (including climbing up 40 feet to reach the 600 yard firing point at Twenty Nine Palms), and may or may not have the luxury of driving between yard lines. Extra equipment only gets in the way, and slows you down. The following examples of equipment may be left in your car, as they are usually not required on the line:
a. Cleaning gear (cleaning rest and full length rod, especially. A small segment of cleaning rod is useful.)
b. Complete tool box (a small set of screwdrivers and wrenches is nice to have)
c. Spare parts: Don’t go overboard and bring along spare barrels, stocks, bedding compound, etc. A supply of commonly replaced parts, such as firing pins and extractors, IS highly recommended.
d. Spare magazines: Carry five at most, you won’t need more.
e. Extra ammo: Twenty rounds above the match course is plenty.
f. Sunblock/ Bug Repellent: Put it on before the match starts, and you won’t have to haul it around.

9. The following is highly recommended on the line:
a. Water
b. Snack foods

10. Nice to have things in the pit:
a. Water
b. Snack foods
c. Hat
d. Sunglasses
e. Something soft to sit on
f. Something to carry it all with

List of Suppliers:

Champion’s Choice, 201 International Blvd., LaVergne, TN 37086. Phone # 1-800-345-7179
Champion’s choice sells it all, from ammunition to Zelenak sights, for nearly all shooting disciplines.

Creedmoor Sports, P.O. Box 1040, Oceanside, CA 92051. Phone # 1-800-444-7697. Web Page: creedmoorsports.com
Just up the road, very convenient to drive up for fitting a jacket. Jackets, stools, and rifle cases are of excellent quality.

OK Weber, P.O. Box 7485, Eugene, OR 97401. Phone # (541) 747-0458. Web Page: okweber.com
Sells top of the line equipment at good prices, including Ewing scope stands, Creedmoor jackets, and RPA products.

I also prefer lots of bug repellent, a wheeled cart setup, and a book.

Folks- care to add or make this a completed list?

·
Administrator
17,755 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Either this will rope you in or send you running for the hills ripper51. Thanks for setting the stage for what is required to start with, well done listing.DI5

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
A few oddball items not mentioned:

Open bolt indicator -- You won't be allowed to shoot without one

Timer -- To keep track of time during slow fire

Bandana -- Keep sweat out of your eyes, especially during rapids

Small towel -- To wipe off your sweaty face, clean your scope, etc.

Paper and pencil -- You'll need to write *something* down. If going to a leg match, bring black or blue pens, which are required for the special score card.

Small clipboard -- Something to write on while scoring. I use a small piece of masonite with binder clips from an office supply.

Rain gear, money, classification card, sight black...

Tim

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Be prepared for rain and/or cold.
I always take plastic clothes hangers & a foldable drying rack (accordian style).
Extra boots & shoes.
Rain cover for your gear - poncho, grill cover, etc. and bungees or straps to secure it.

Wide brim hat for the pits when it 'rains dirt'.

Think about where & how you'll be eating meals - going off of my 'regular feed' causes 'GI blues'.
Wendy's in Port Clinton is good & inexpensive for salads, baked potato, chili.
Bring or buy a bag of apples if you eat a lot of fruit.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
347 Posts
One guy's packing list

Found with Google Search, a representative packing list for Camp Perry. Thought it might be nice to consolidate it here.

Camp Perry Packing List for Board Matches and NRA Championships
by "the Colorado Gray Fox"
Ammunition
1. 200 load- 250 rounds
2. 300 load- 120 rounds
3. 600 load- 150 rounds

Shooting Gear
1. Rifles
2. Black Beastie
3. Mixed Blessing
4. Sling (on rifle)
5. Hard gun case
6. Soft gun case
7. Mags: 1 SF, 2 RF
8. Scope and stand
9. Mat
10. Mitt
11. Shooting coat
12. Slow fire ammo holder
13. Ear plugs- 6 sets
14. Peltor muffs
15. Knoblochs
16. Miscellaneous bag
17. Data book
18. Pens/pencils
19. Parts & repair box
20. GI Poncho (repair)
21. Equipment rain cover
22. Sun & bug repellents
23. Sweat rag
24. Stool
25. Bungee cords- 3
26. Gear hand cart
27. Big trash can & lid
28. Gallon ZipLoc bag
29. MultiPlier
30. Shooting adhesive
31. Sight black
32. Accessory bag
33. Qt size ZipLock- 4

Rifle Maintenance Gear
1. Cleaning cradle
2. Bar clamp
3. Cleaning rods (2)
4. Cleaning can (refill)
Hut Survival Gear
1. Bug bomb
2. Broom
3. Sheets, pillow, blanket
4. Red cooler
5. Big box fan
6. Red throw rug
7. Lawn Chair
8. Ext. cords, 2, multi ended
9. Light rope -50 feet
10. Strapping tape
11. Trash bags (3)
12. Clock radio (battery op)
13. Coffee mug & spoon
14. Clothes hangers (2)
15. Visqueen sheet
16. Gallon zip lock bag
17. Combination lock
18. BB & marker

Clothing & Personal
1. 5 underwear
2. 5 white socks
3. White shooting pants
4. Tan BDU pants
5. HD Suspenders
6. Black web belt
7. 2 tee shirts
8. 2 old white dress shirts
9. Lt sweatshirt
10. Bandanna
11. Tan aviator shirt
12. 2 tan shorts
13. NB tennis shoes
14. Boondockers
15. Boonie hat
16. Krieger ball cap
17. Towel
18. Washcloth
19. Toilet kit (refill)
20. Shower sandals
21. Camera & film
22. Reading materials
23. Check book
24. Cash- $100
25. Roll of quarters
26. VISA card w/ low balance

Obtain in Port Clinton
1. Food and ice
2. Paper towels
3. Roll of TP
4. (Misc. bag: lens cleaner, soft paper towels, extra ear plugs, timer, sight black, aspirin, Band-Aids, magnifier, pencil, extra OBI, $3, all in quart size freezer weight ZipLoc bag)
5. (Parts & repair box: new sling keeper, firing pin, extractor, spring & plunger, ejector & spring, broken shell extractor, allen wrench set, grease, LSA)

Where To Pack
Red Cooler: ammo, cleaning can, rug, extension cords, rope, strap tape, trash bags, clock radio, mug, spoon, hangers, visqueen, zip lock bags, lock.
Hard Gun case: rifle(s), sling, sight covers, cleaning rods.
Trash can: scope, stand, mat, coat, mit, bungees, cleaning cradle, clamp, stool, magazines, ammo holder, ear plugs, Knoblochs, misc. bag, data book, parts box, poncho, rain cover, sun screen, insect repellent, rag, zip lock bags, MultiPlier, adhesive, soft case, accessory bag.
GI Duffel bag: bedding, all clothing, wash cloth, towel, toilet kit, camera & film, funds.
Loose: chair, fan, hand cart.

Compliments of
Colorado Grey Fox

A few words of explanation . . . .
Ammo
This is enough to shoot the Board matches and NRA team and individual matches, not including the long range events. Has allowances for a few extra sighters due to boat in the impact area delays and a few alibis. Loads for each yardage is a new thing. Life was simpler when we all shot 30 caliber and there was only one good bullet.

Shooting gear
• Hard gun case is for rifle transport to/from Camp Perry in a truck or horse trailer
• Soft case is for use while at Camp Perry, to/from/around firing ranges
• Gear hand cart- shooter needs some wheeled means of shifting gear around while on the range; once you leave hutment or vehicle you are gone for the day. I use a modified two wheel dolly and trash barrel.
• Trash can- used to pack gear on trip to/from Perry, and on cart during matches
• Gallon ziploc- keep in stool to protect data book and score cards during rain storms
• Parts & repair box- list is for M16, adjust for your needs
• Accessory bag- use for lunch, drinks, take rain gear to pits, etc.
• Quart size ZipLock bags- for packing lunch crackers, fruit, paper towels, etc.

Rifle mtce gear
• Can be shared
• Bar clamp secures cradle to lawn chair. I clean rifle while enjoying a fermented beverage, then clean myself.

Hut survival gear
• Bug bomb- huts may have spiders, wasps, etc. One for whole group.
• Cooler- medium sized, or share larger one if two people housed together
• Rug- small bath mat sized rug to put on concrete floor, adds nice homey touch
• Rope- used to fix bedsprings, make clothes line above bed, secure fan in window, etc.
• Strapping tape- bed repairs, resecuring cooler and trash can for travel home, etc.
• Battery operated clock radio- power in huts not always reliable, need one independent alarm clock per hut
• Visqueen- in case of leaky roof
• Broom- one for whole group
• Gallon ziploc- protects roll of TP from rain (good idea to take your own stationery to latrine…)
• Combo lock- replace issued key lock, a real convenience, one per hut
• BB & marker is to help keep team organized.

Clothing & personal
• Shower sandals- cheap ‘flipflops’ best. Latrines a short walk from huts, floors not always clean
• Reading material- there is down time, at huts, in pits, etc. Tom Clancy, not Neitsche.
• Toilet kit contains a bottle of baby butt lotion- important for those unaccustomed to hot, humid climate.

Typical daily schedule:
Up at 0530 hrs, quick latrine call, simple breakfast in hut, head for ranges, shoot beginning at 0700 hrs, pull targets, drag gear around, walk a lot, return to hut, clean rifle, clean hut, clean self, trip to commercial row to drool & dream, dinner on post or in town, organize ammo/gear/clothing/lunch for next day, lights out by 2200 hrs. Substitute laundry and grocery shopping for commercial row as needed. Two weeks of heaven! Don’t forget to phone home a few times.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I guess a magazine pouch is not required or is it?

When I completed in the service, during the rapid fire, magazine change, the second magazine loaded with eight round must come from a magazine pouch.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess a magazine pouch is not required or is it?

When I completed in the service, during the rapid fire, magazine change, the second magazine loaded with eight round must come from a magazine pouch.
I don't think you have to hold the paper patches in your teeth nor the powder horn under your arm, either.<GRIN>

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cannot claim being the original author but can't remember where I first found the list.
When I attend a match, I have zeros from my previous matches as well as the day before, unless the match is out of town. My data book stretches back awhile and includes zeros for a lot of different conditions as well as loads. I input all the information into excel, and now am building an access database. Normally I am with a click with my loads and zero data. Now if only I can get the rest of the rounds to go into the X ring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts