M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for everyone. I found some reloads I did a year ago and I can't remember why I made them to a headspace of 1.615 They are once fired lake city brass on its first reload, 147 grain M2 ball, and 42.5 grains of reloader 15. The headspace on my M1A tag from Springfield says it is a 1.631 I know many guys say when making reloads to go .005 shorter for safey to prevent kabooms, and to minimize the amount of case stretch.

I checked the headspace on a few different manufactured rounds I have in my house, and they all measure out as much shorter than my M1A headspace. The surplus rounds are never going to be reloaded so case stretch is not a concern. And I have never had a problem with any of the four listed below out of my M1A

Over the past couple years I have fired rounds from:

Remington UMC 150 Gr 1.621

South African 1.621

Indian surplus 1.620

Wolf lacquer coating 1.615 Fired very few of the Wolf stuff but I do know that I have shot a few without problems.

So I am guessing ammo manufactures make a short headspace round so it can be used in any gun. I found 80 rounds of my older reloads that are 1.615" What do I do with them????

A) Shoot them but throw away the brass because .016" is too much stretch.

B) Do not shoot them because of risk of cask rupture. Disassemble all the rounds, pull the bullets, save the powder and throw away the short brass.

C) Shoot them in my Remington LTR bolt gun that has a headspace of 1.627

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Shoot them out of your LTR. Less chance of damaging anything. If you are not certain of the charge weight, pull the bullets and start over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charge weight is spot on. I was curious about the headspace size and if I should fire or not fire thru the M1A and save the brass or not. The gas gun is more fun compared to the bolt gun but I will take the bolt gun over dissambling the reloads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts